No announcement yet.

Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There exists at least some GL-like API that makes porting fairly easy. Source: octodad 2, an Irrlicht-based game using OpenGL, comments from the devs of Octodad.

Comment

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      I'm sorry, but your logic doesn't pass the sniff test.
      What!?!? Could you please restate your comment within the context of the discussed topic, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
        And what awesome things do you intend to do with that dv9000?
        Pr0n and pics of catz ofcourse

Comment

• Yeah, all posts here about OpenGL including those detailed posts from elanthis are naught but FUD. If you are used to D3D you might not like OpenGL simply because it is different. I myself prefer a more UNIX strict system such as Solaris or BSD over Linux but that's simply because I'm more used to these systems and because they are more conservative when it comes to applying changes on how things are configured.

The fact is that Valve ported Left4Dead to Linux using OpenGL and the result was that the frame rate was about 10-20% higher than when booting onto Windows and using D3D on the very same machine. That was a fact in spite of the poorly written GPU drivers for Linux and despite how "unoptimized" OpenGL is. So just imagine how things would be if people really started working on the optimization bits on the Linux system and started optimizing the drivers. I'd say Windows and D3D would be smoked big time and I think Microsoft people know it which is why they put so much effort into spreading their FUD.

You may prefer D3D over OpenGL or the other way around for various reasons, but you cannot state as a fact that D3D is "superior" or whatever than D3D because D3D does have obvious weaknesses compared to OpenGL as stated above. A while ago I read the following post which is a recommended read:

Is it that DirectX is easier or better than OpenGL, even if OpenGL is cross-platform? Why do we not see real powerful games for Linux like there are for Windows?

I hope that this will put a kabosh on the ongoing FUD on this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Well you're going to need a modern upper midrange machine or better (preferably 8 cores and a GPU > 2TFLOPS) and you need to figure out just what changes sony made to their distribution of FreeBSD including whatever display server they're using (Probably not X.Org but their own thing) and port those over to Ubuntu and install the FreeBSD variants of various libraries and then you might be able to run them...
            And where would you get a PC with Unified RAM? Nowhere.

Just because according to this fake report with doctored screenshots the PS4 OS is allegedly based on a PC operating system does not make the PS4 a normal PC.
            Xbox One runs a version of Windows 8. Good luck getting X1 titles to run on normal PCs?

Unified RAM does not magically appear in PCs.

Comment

• Originally posted by log0 View Post
              What!?!? Could you please restate your comment within the context of the discussed topic, thanks.
              The mere use of a technology by "thousands of developers" doesn't mean it's either good or well thought out.. By that logic, Windows is better than anything else in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by axero View Post
                The fact is that Valve ported Left4Dead to Linux using OpenGL and the result was that the frame rate was about 10-20% higher than when booting onto Windows and using D3D on the very same machine.
                Don't forget that "porting" to OpenGL means using the togl library, which translates DirectX to OpenGL on the fly (the game still thinks it's talking to a DirectX device). This translation layer should in theory slow things down, but the opposite is the case. That alone speaks for the efficiency of OpenGL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  And where would you get a PC with Unified RAM? Nowhere.
                  Unified RAM does not magically appear in PCs.
                  The Kaveri APU will bring it, next year IIRC.

Comment

• D3D vs OpenGL is an none issue. Since version D3D10 and OpenGl 3.0 /OpenGL ES 2.0 here is no real difference in how you use it. They are both just glorified ways to feed data to the different shaders. There are some "plumbing" issues that one can simply abstract away.

So move along kids the fight is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      The Kaveri APU will bring it, next year IIRC.
                      The claim I replied to was that and modern PC would suffice but not a single currently available PC has the required architecture to run PS4 software. Aside from that, the screenshots are still fake.

Therefore: No currently available PC with Unified RAM architecture and no credible evidence that PS4 OS is really based on FreeBSD which means that mike4 and Luke_Wolf won't be able to play PS4 games on stupid Ubuntu anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X