There's Now An Ubuntu Touch PPA For Unity 8, Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    No, people should use what fits them best. They shouldn?t stop using Ubuntu just because you doesn't like it.
    No, you have no right to tell what people should use. With all the controversy and damage to linux done with help of canonical and ubuntu in recent years, I fail to see why my personal likings play any role. Around 8.04 you could argue over attractiveness of brown color themes, that was personal matter. But what canonical does since 8.10 and up, is public matter.

Lets count: pulse audio delivered with wrong settings and too early (since 8.10). Completely ignored systemd, lets just use in-house upstart. Completely ignored git, lets use in-house bazaar. Completely ignored gnome 3, lets replace it with unity. How lying and completely ignoring wayland, lets replace it with mir. What they do is exactly called "fragmentation", because they never replace own-developed pieces by more advanced technology, ever. They want control and want users to debug it for them. Then,.. look up what "ubuntu" as word means and compare it to ubuntu actions. Sure, everyone will use what he wants - the question is, why should other people tolerate those who fragment and lie, when cooperation and fairness is of utmost importance? This is the question I answered.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      No, you have no right to tell what people should use.
      And neither do you
      A person's choices are their own, and if they don't want to change you have no right to try and force them.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        I was about to say how disgusting how much brosis coverage there is in these Ubuntu threads
        It wouldn't be so bad but the guy has been saying exactly the same things over, and over, and over, and over again.
        Me thinks it's time for him to get some new material or find another project he doesn't develop for to protest about.
        They could have used Wayland.. If they are not okay, they could have not lied about it. They could have said - we want to experiment on something different. Could have been more connected, finding a missing niche instead of duplicating and exploiting the userbase. Instead of clean X11->Wayland upgrade path, we have now X11, X11 legacy, XWayland, Xmir and further worthless layers. These will be number one source of errata for next years. This is not "ubuntu" per definition.

Comment

They could have used Wayland.. If they are not okay, they could have not lied about it. They could have said - we want to experiment on something different. Could have been more connected, finding a missing niche instead of duplicating and exploiting the userbase. Instead of clean X11->Wayland upgrade path, we have now X11, X11 legacy, XWayland, Xmir and further worthless layers. These will be number one source of errata for next years. This is not "ubuntu" per definition.
          Mhm, considering that all of those X layers you've put down will me compatible with the same protocol with no changes in code base to the applications that will need to use X on Wayland/Mir, it's clear to see what a detrimental effect it'll have. /s

Comment

This is ridiculous. If you don't want to touch anything Mir then don't use Ubuntu.

The whole purpose of open source is so that people can roll whatever software changes they want to benefit their users.

Comment

Its disgusting how much Ubuntu coverage there is on phoronix.
              It?s disgusting to read comments like these ... When are you going to grow up ?

Comment

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but it already got plenty of attention, so..
                Completely ignored systemd, lets just use in-house upstart.
                Canonical developed upstart before systemd, and it works just fine for them. The last time they early-adopted a Lennart Poettering project
                (pulseaudio), it didn't turn out too well (as you noted). Heck, us Debian users are still using sysvinit and it's just fine.

Completely ignored git, lets use in-house bazaar.
                git and bzr have tools that let them function interchangeably, so that's not really a big deal..

Completely ignored gnome 3
                The GNOME project "ignored" KDE when it started.

What they do is exactly called "fragmentation"
                Speaking of GNOME, you're starting to sound like Miguel de Icaza, though at least he realizes that Linux is already fragmented: http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2012...mentation.html
                Last edited by DanL; 23 June 2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  everyone does use Windows. unless you think OS X's or linux's marketshare is above 10%.
                  One Laptop and Two Desktops in my house, Windows isn't anywhere to be found and the Retail disks I had before are in some landfill. And even though I have no hand in it, local School is currently in the process of switching their ever shrinking Computer Lab over to Linux. I don't know what distro. I've also spread the love to other Friends and Family by switching them also, I switched them all to Xubuntu, customized a bit of course. I found XFCE to be the easiest for conversion efforts. So watch what you say about 'everyone' using Windows.

Only people who don't know better, use Windows. Hopefully with PRISM and the NSA, word will spread. I bet you Windows guys hate that, I bet you hate that somebody like me takes time to help people release the chains that enslaved them for so long. By all means, continue to hate us, for it only feeds our need to convert.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but it already got plenty of attention, so..

Canonical developed upstart before systemd, and it works just fine for them. The last time they early-adopted a Lennart Poettering project
                    (pulseaudio), it didn't turn out too well (as you noted). Heck, us Debian users are still using sysvinit and it's just fine.

git and bzr have tools that let them function interchangeably, so that's not really a big deal..

The GNOME project "ignored" KDE when it started.

Speaking of GNOME, you're starting to sound like Miguel de Icaza, though at least he realizes that Linux is already fragmented: http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2012...mentation.html
                    I don't feed trolls, thanks a lot.

Originally posted by bartek View Post
                    It?s disgusting to read comments like these ... When are you going to grow up ?
                    I am not obligated to have same opinion as you, so yeah, grow up, down, wide or whatever your grow demand is.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    This is ridiculous. If you don't want to touch anything Mir then don't use Ubuntu.
                    The whole purpose of open source is so that people can roll whatever software changes they want to benefit their users.
                    Thing is, KDE and GNOME and rest differ. What is real difference between Wayland and Mir? That Mir belongs to Canonical. This is like Libre OO and Apache OO. Tell me of any benefit?
                    Last edited by brosis; 23 June 2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                      Try not to be so sloppy with your wording. You come off as someone who assumes anyone who criticizes Canonical or Ubuntu is an "elite nerd" who doesn't want to see Canonical or Ubuntu succeed. You also seem to assume that market success means technical success. Neither is that simple. There are very valid technical criticisms of Mir and Canonical for their use of it, regardless if they are the biggest kid on the consumer-gnu/linux block. This is a tech forum for a tech blog where people are encouraged to discuss and argue over technical things.. even if in reality it's often it's a platform for ignorant individuals to voice their opinions abrasively.. kinda like you just did.

Don't criticize this place for it's discussions when your contributing to exactly what derails them.
                      I didnt ment to be rude to the people who criticize on a technical and constructive way. But think about how often Ubuntu/Canonical itself or their developers get insulted in here. How often did you tell them that this is not appropriate in here? But if someone speaks up for ubuntu/Canonical that is enough motivation to raise your voice.

that is what i am talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X