Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon KMS Still Being Ported To FreeBSD

Phoronix: AMD Radeon KMS Still Being Ported To FreeBSD

It's been a while since last talking about the project to bring the Linux driver for AMD Radeon KMS to FreeBSD. The project is still going forth for expanding FreeBSD kernel mode-setting, but there hasn't been too much progress as of late...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Radeon KMS Still Being Ported To FreeBSD

It's been a while since last talking about the project to bring the Linux driver for AMD Radeon KMS to FreeBSD. The project is still going forth for expanding FreeBSD kernel mode-setting, but there hasn't been too much progress as of late...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5Mjg
    Good luck for FreeBSD 10. It would round-out support nicely though... FOSS KMS-based Intel, FOSS KMS-Based AMD, and proprietary Nvidia all on FreeBSD.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      the developer being paid by the FreeBSD Foundation to port the Radeon KMS code to the FreeBSD kernel
      I would like to correct this sentence: I'm not paid by the FreeBSD Foundation and never asked the Foundation to do so.

Thank you very much for the coverage on Phoronix!

Originally posted by Ericg
      Good luck for FreeBSD 10.
      Thanks!

That would be nice indeed to have something ready for FreeBSD 10, but I really need to hurry up

Comment

Nice

Nice to see FreeBSD get KMS-support.
        Hope to see KMS-support soon on OpenBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, DragonFly BSD and Plan 9 too.

Hope to see Wayland on FreeBSD soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbbell View Post
          I would like to correct this sentence: I'm not paid by the FreeBSD Foundation and never asked the Foundation to do so.

That would be nice indeed to have something ready for FreeBSD 10, but I really need to hurry up
          Thanks for porting the FOSS radeon drivers to FreeBSD; while I'm using Linux, it's nice to see a potential alternative if I ever do want to try.
          It also means more users for the code, so I'm happy about that.

And try to ignore the trolls.

Comment

Desiderantes: Please don't feed the troll. Just use the "!" report post link at the bottom left of the post.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbbell View Post

Thanks!

Thanks for the work.
              I've been waiting for the time when I can use PC-BSD on my desktop without falling back to VESA mode.
              Out of curiosity, how's it all shaping up?
              And how's the backport to FreeBSD 9 looking?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                Out of curiosity, how's it all shaping up?
                There're two known issues I'm considering show stoppers: a deadlock when using OpenGL and a memory page refcount problem causing X.Org to crash. There're many other issues after that but the driver might be stable enough, so that we can prepare a live CD to allow more people to test it.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                And how's the backport to FreeBSD 9 looking?
                9-STABLE and 10-CURRENT are not that different regarding the DRM area. The backport is a work in progresss but of course, it suffers the same problems than the 10-CURRENT driver.

Comment

Working...
                X