Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Underway With QEMU 3D Support

Phoronix: Research Underway With QEMU 3D Support

There's long been a need for QEMU/KVM to have guest 3D support for virtual machines (especially with more of the modern Linux desktops requiring OpenGL support) and Red Hat engineers have talked about such support previously, but now it looks like code is finally materializing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Research Underway With QEMU 3D Support

There's long been a need for QEMU/KVM to have guest 3D support for virtual machines (especially with more of the modern Linux desktops requiring OpenGL support) and Red Hat engineers have talked about such support previously, but now it looks like code is finally materializing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5Mjc
    G3 doesn't require acceleration, but it helps.

Comment

VGA pass-through

Note that VGA pass-through requires IOMMU (what Intel calls VT-d).

This instructions are not available in the K-series of Intel processors.
      It is available in Intel Core i7 4770 but not 4770K.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Note that VGA pass-through requires IOMMU (what Intel calls VT-d).

This instructions are not available in the K-series of Intel processors.
        It is available in Intel Core i7 4770 but not 4770K.
        It also requires a compatible chipset and the most important part is the BIOS/UEFI which have to be developed to support IOMMU... and it doesn't mean simply shipping the modules provided by AMI/Intel whithout doing anything.
        I wonder why my motherboard manufacturer is showing vt-d activation as an option in the user manual when it's not in the real bios and why it is activating the iommu by default when it's clearly not functionnal, ah yes Windows don't care.

Comment

Working...
        X