Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt Still Has Problems For Linux

Phoronix: Thunderbolt Still Has Problems For Linux

While the popularity and future of the Apple/Intel Thunderbolt interface can be debated, the current state of Thunderbolt on Linux still leaves a fair amount to be desired. While on the state of Linux hardware support, the Google Chromebook Pixel does work with modern Linux distributions, but not all support has been perfected...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apple Compatibility

Apple doesn't design their hardware/software with anyone else in mind. Apple makes their hardware so it works with their software and vice-versa. I don't think it's a hit against Apple that their version of Thunderbolt doesn't work with Linux. Thunderbolt though will still be popular until something faster is made, but now that Thunderbolt 2 is coming out with the new Mac Pro; I highly doubt there will be anything faster for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
      Apple doesn't design their hardware/software with anyone else in mind. Apple makes their hardware so it works with their software and vice-versa. I don't think it's a hit against Apple that their version of Thunderbolt doesn't work with Linux. Thunderbolt though will still be popular until something faster is made, but now that Thunderbolt 2 is coming out with the new Mac Pro; I highly doubt there will be anything faster for quite some time.
      Its not only Apple. NO manufacturer gives a fuck about linux (even the oh so linux friendly Intel). If your problem can be solved in kernel level you might get a solution. If you depend on the mfg to get it fixed you are fucked.

Comment

It seems retarded to me. The only one going to release thunderbolt peripherals is apple. Basically they created a peripheral port for themselves. If apple were smaller I'd consider it financially suicidal.

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
          I don't think it's a hit against Apple that their version of Thunderbolt doesn't work with Linux.
          It's not that it doesn't work with Linux - it's that it doesn't do so because it fails to conform to the spec. The spec says that Thunderbolt should be implemented at the BIOS level, and no OS support is required. Apple have apparently ignored that, and implemented it in the OS, making their hardware unusable to any other OS that expects the hardware to conform to the spec.

Now, obviously, Apple have no reason to care about people running other systems on their hardware - it's not a significant proportion of their sales. But it does further cement the status of Thunderbolt as an Apple-only technology...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            It seems retarded to me. The only one going to release thunderbolt peripherals is apple. Basically they created a peripheral port for themselves. If apple were smaller I'd consider it financially suicidal.
            Thunderbolt was actually created by Intel. Apple is just the only one using it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Thunderbolt was actually created by Intel. Apple is just the only one using it.
              Intel + Apple made it, Apple is the only one using it.

But moving on...

Disclaimer / Notice: I work in a computer repair shop, dealing with "average users" everyday...I do feel this has qualified me to speak on their behalf...

Firewire and Thunderbolt hit the same problem, they're new and different. The people who understood them enough to WANT them and were informed enough to know what they were, are also informed and understand enough to not buy Apple's marketing and therefore apple products. The average user has a hard enough time understanding USB so therefore even the "average" users who DID buy apple products and who HAVE thunderbolt ports available to them, they probably just chalk it up as "Another port on my computer" and dont care and/or stick to USB.

The people who are gonna USE thunderbolt are the same people who used Firewire...

Technologically informed computer users who buy into Apple's marketing / hate Windows... Or in other words: Audio/Video guys. Thunderbolt will remain THEIR niche the same way Firewire did.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Firewire and Thunderbolt hit the same problem, they're new and different.
                And expensive.
                The people who are gonna USE thunderbolt are the same people who used Firewire...

Technologically informed computer users who buy into Apple's marketing / hate Windows... Or in other words: Audio/Video guys. Thunderbolt will remain THEIR niche the same way Firewire did.
                Yep, that's exactly what I've seen too.

Comment

Thunderbolt is dead. It won't see any adoption.
                  It is not royalty-free, so it cost much money.
                  Also it is Intel-owned with no third-party manufacturers, so you have to buy the circuits from Intel, no competition.

Also, USB 3 which is royalty-free is "good enough".
                  Lets just wait for USB 4.

Also Chromebook Pixel sucks, it costs very much, its expensive and only has 4 GB RAM and 32 or 64 GB SSD. So it is only good as a web browser.

Comment

Unless you care about serious daisy chaining or have some hardcore SSD RAID set up, thunderbolt is no better than USB 3.0 (and a good video interface). Honestly, who cares whether it has good linux support or not (well, probably all those Mac users who run nix on their machines)? Let Apple and the few other endorsers use thunderbolt and the rest better cross-platform interfaces like USB and HDMI.

Comment

Working...
                    X