NVIDIA Brings Their Linux Driver To ARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's not really "all they have". They have a presence in the mobile market (not as well as Qualcomm of course, but the Nexus 7 was a nice win; Tegra 4 hasn't been much to brag about yet) and are well-versed in the HPC market.
    HPC isn't a whole sustainable market. A computing company solely operating in the high-end will bleed cash on R&D until eventually the low-end will catch up. It happens time and time again: e.g. The first and second generation of RISC computers followed that pattern. Only when the third gen tablets hit the mass market, did ARM get enough of a cash flow to start considering R&D for server penetration.

As for the mobile market, I haven't seen any recent figures so I won't comment about sales. I will say that from the benchmarks I've read the Tegra3 (2011) isn't as good as the RK3188 or the A31 (2012-2013). Mind you that Rockchip is running ARM's reference Mali so we might see a time in the next year or two that, like Intel's integrated graphics, Mali will simply be good enough for most consumers.

The shrinking desktop space is a real problem, but the console market is essentially worthless.
    Wow! The console market is worthless?! Someone should tell Microsoft and Sony!
    Seriously, I haven't seen the sales figures but considering AMD's poor presence in the Steam survey, I'd imagine consoles are probably their biggest cash cow right now.

Does AMD even support Linux / OpenGL?
    Oh yes. They have both property drivers and open source drivers available and both are officially supported and maintained by AMD. They are also releasing specs and development tools for benchmarking and other game engine related stuff:

They've been quite awesome that way and I've made the effort to recommend their hardware despite being forced to use nVidia's in some workstations.

They only figured out what Android was about 2 weeks ago.
    Looking at AMD's press announcements, I'm not finding anything Android related:

All I can say is that they've owned an ARM license at least since 2011 and have been working on ARM servers for that long or at least a year. I've never heard they have any interests in Android but I suppose if their server chips proved surprisingly efficient and well preforming(which I doubt, no disrespect but it's still AMD we're talking about here), they might make an attempt on something portable.
    As for SteamBox, that's linux so they have the drivers ready.

Comment

It's not really "all they have". They have a presence in the mobile market (not as well as Qualcomm of course, but the Nexus 7 was a nice win; Tegra 4 hasn't been much to brag about yet) and are well-versed in the HPC market.

The shrinking desktop space is a real problem, but the console market is essentially worthless.

Does AMD even support Linux / OpenGL?

They only figured out what Android was about 2 weeks ago.
      ^^^ Very funny, since QUALCOMM uses AMD/Radeon IP. Where do you think Adreno came from? And why do you think Rob Clark is advancing so quickly on the freedreno drivers? Hint: In ADRENO, take the R, move it all the way to the left, then reverse the N and the O. What does that give you? That's right. RADEON rules mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        HPC isn't a whole sustainable market. A computing company solely operating in the high-end will bleed cash on R&D until eventually the low-end will catch up. It happens time and time again: e.g. The first and second generation of RISC computers followed that pattern. Only when the third gen tablets hit the mass market, did ARM get enough of a cash flow to start considering R&D for server penetration.

As for the mobile market, I haven't seen any recent figures so I won't comment about sales. I will say that from the benchmarks I've read the Tegra3 (2011) isn't as good as the RK3188 or the A31 (2012-2013). Mind you that Rockchip is running ARM's reference Mali so we might see a time in the next year or two that, like Intel's integrated graphics, Mali will simply be good enough for most consumers.
        Those chinese chips are pieces of crap.

Seriously, I haven't seen the sales figures but considering AMD's poor presence in the Steam survey, I'd imagine consoles are probably their biggest cash cow right now.
        I'll just leave this here:
        Last edited by droidhacker; 21 June 2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Those chinese chips are pieces of crap.
          They get the job (video playback and casual browsing) done. It's tablets here. I don't go around expecting high quality hardware in toys.

I'll just leave this here:
          http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg
          Typical Holywood accounting. Goes with the entertainment industry all consoles are a part of. There's a reason Silicon Valley, California is where it is. Tax breaks and unscrupulous tax auditors. Try to remember these are the same guys complaining about piracy destroying their revenues. Sony especially but the most of the state is pretty much in the same racket. Microsoft, Apple, Google... Aside from a handful of indie dev houses, it's all one huge tax evading, money laundering, cartel promoting scam.

Comment

^^^ Very funny, since QUALCOMM uses AMD/Radeon IP. Where do you think Adreno came from? And why do you think Rob Clark is advancing so quickly on the freedreno drivers? Hint: In ADRENO, take the R, move it all the way to the left, then reverse the N and the O. What does that give you? That's right. RADEON rules mobile.
            ? AMD sold off that IP to Qualcomm some time ago and have washed their hands of it. Congrats to Qualcomm for doing something with it.

Besides... my point was that AMD kinda views Linux as that red-headed bastard step-child that they like to pretend doesn't exist. So it would be kind of disappointing if they ended up in the Steam Box.

And my point about the consoles was that AMD is probably not going to make a lot of buck off those deals. We'll know for sure as time goes on and the numbers get listed in the SEC filings... but these things generally don't yield big profits for the CPU maker.

Comment

? AMD sold off that IP to Qualcomm some time ago and have washed their hands of it. Congrats to Qualcomm for doing something with it.

Besides... my point was that AMD kinda views Linux as that red-headed bastard step-child that they like to pretend doesn't exist. So it would be kind of disappointing if they ended up in the Steam Box.

And my point about the consoles was that AMD is probably not going to make a lot of buck off those deals. We'll know for sure as time goes on and the numbers get listed in the SEC filings... but these things generally don't yield big profits for the CPU maker.
              I guess it depends on how you define "a lot". From what I've heard the xbox deal is worth 3bn and I guess the ps4 will be in the same range.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                I guess it depends on how you define "a lot". From what I've heard the xbox deal is worth 3bn and I guess the ps4 will be in the same range.
                Profit or revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  Well, to be fair, it's standard practice to sell the console hardware at a loss at the beginning of a generation. Sony and MS make their real money from the licensing fees game publishers pay them to release games on their systems.

Later on as the hardware gets cheaper, they can start selling it in the black, but the goal is always to ship as much hardware as possible to increase those software fees, not to make money on the hardware itself.

That said, obviously AMD wouldn't have taken the contracts if they didn't think they were going to make money on the deals. It remains to be seen exactly how things will go.

Comment

Working...
                  X