Roadmap for 3d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadmap for 3d

I was curious... what is the road map for 3d on R500/R600 chips?

I have seen radeonhd plans on going towards the galium3d approach, but is there any plans for the radeon driver to port r300 style 3d to the r500 or is that just an insane amount of work that isn't worth the effort?

Extending R300-style 3D support to R5xx seems to be pretty straightforward -- the 3D engines are very different internally but have a very similar programming model. The first use of the R5xx 3D docs was for Textured Video support, which was a surprise but which also seemed to make for some real happy users.

Since the R300 3D was largely reverse engineered the first step seems to be cleaning the code up a bit using the information we released recently :

http://olivermcfadden.livejournal.com/

I think it will make sense to extend R300-style 3D to R6xx as well but we'll know better in a couple of weeks.

There seems to be pretty strong agreement that extending the current R300 mesa code base to GL2.x or higher is not a good idea -- for any work like that, building on Gallium seems like the way to go.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 March 2008, 10:46 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

cool. I'm looking forward to testing out some code once it gets commited to the respective git repos.

Comment

Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
        cool. I'm looking forward to testing out some code once it gets commited to the respective git repos.
        It's already in Oliver private repo at fdo and i am sure he would be happy to have people testing as sooner he get informed on any regressions or bugs, the better it is.

Comment

Oh I thought that only had r300 stuff in it; I didn't know it encompassed r500. I will have to give it a whirl. Where should I submit any bugs I find?
          Last edited by koolmanoncampus; 04 March 2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Oh I thought that only had r300 stuff in it; I didn't know it encompassed r500. I will have to give it a whirl. Where should I submit any bugs I find?
            It's just clean up at this point. It won't work on r5xx until the fragment shader code is updated.

Comment

Yeah I figured that was it after I installed it.

Comment

Sorry for the false hope my brain skipped the r500/r600 part of your message. So i blame my lazy brain who skips word

Comment

In October, was held the annual RTI Conference on ?3D-Architectures for Semiconductor Integration and Packaging? in San-Francisco, California. Among one of the most interesting presentations, Kauppi Kujala, Senior Engineering Manager from Nokia Technology Platforms presented a nice outlook of what are the expectations and requirements for 3-D integrated packages in mobile cell-phones.

Comment

Working...
                  X