Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA To License Its Kepler GPU Technology

Phoronix: NVIDIA To License Its Kepler GPU Technology

As a hopeful blow against imagination Technologies and their licensing of the PowerVR SGX graphics IP across the ARM SoC industry, NVIDIA has announced they too will get into the graphics IP licensing game. NVIDIA will begin licensing its "Kepler" graphics technology for in use by tablets, smart-phones, and other new form-factors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope ARM get their shit together, and start supporting FOSS driver, so they can have actually competitive advantage over nvidia.

Comment

Wow, from the half-empty perspective, it seems almost like NVIDIA clutching at straws. Lost the 360 and now the PS4, a shrinking desktop market doesn't help either, and then there are also this APUs. Quite interesting times ahead.

Comment

That was my initial reaction as well... though, ironically, their stock is up pretty big today, so I guess investors saw it as good news.

Comment

I read that the boss, JHH, has sold a lot of stock. Bad omen.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That was my initial reaction as well... though, ironically, their stock is up pretty big today, so I guess investors saw it as good news.
            They "lost" the PS4 and the Xbox because they didn't want to meet MS and Sony's requirements on design, performance and price.

Nvidia does have a chance though to supplant Qualcomm though as the new "go-to" ARM GPU vendor...which would definitely help to recoup the "loss" from the Xbox and PS4 deals.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              They "lost" the PS4 and the Xbox because they didn't want to meet MS and Sony's requirements on design, performance and price.

Nvidia does have a chance though to supplant Qualcomm though as the new "go-to" ARM GPU vendor...which would definitely help to recoup the "loss" from the Xbox and PS4 deals.
              The exact reasons are irrelevant. They've lost two very high volume deals in succession. We are talking about ~100 million units per console generation...

The question is how much they are going to ask for now and whether anyone will be willing to pay it. There is quite some more concurrence in the mobile market.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                Wow, from the half-empty perspective, it seems almost like NVIDIA clutching at straws. Lost the 360 and now the PS4, a shrinking desktop market doesn't help either, and then there are also this APUs. Quite interesting times ahead.
                Then why can't they start supporting the Nouveau devs and do AMD even one better by having expert devs providing basic programming info for their cards (of course excluding any 3rd party IP) as well as being active in Nouveau development? This way they can have a quality FOSS driver that can surely compete with AMD

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Then why can't they start supporting the Nouveau devs and do AMD even one better by having expert devs providing basic programming info for their cards (of course excluding any 3rd party IP) as well as being active in Nouveau development? This way they can have a quality FOSS driver that can surely compete with AMD
                  Just curious, how would that be better than what we are doing ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Just curious, how would that be better than what we are doing ?
                    I believe his point was that it would benefit everyone if we had quality OSS drivers for every major GPU design. Not necessarily that nVidia doing the same thing would be "better", but rather that it would be good for everyone.

EDIT: I guess in other words, in the same way as it was good for AMD GPU users to get a high quality OSS driver, it would also be good for nVidia GPU users to get a high quality OSS driver. Along with Intel GPU's that covers the vast majority of existing hardware. That would in fact be better I suppose.... Not better than what you are doing, but better overall.
                    Last edited by duby229; 20 June 2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X