Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news about OpenGL 3.0?

Hello,

Does anyone know any news about the pending OpenGL 3.0 release? Last thing I know of it is that it was due to release in 2007, but it was postponed for repairing a problem spotted in the last moment.

I'm sure people are working on it, but I would like to know more about the problem and the progress they make repairing it.

Some other people seem to have similar question, see liquidat's post here:
    Graphics and Free Software: a great 2007, but where is OpenGL?

It's MIA for sure. The new graphics cards coming later this year won't be supporting OpenGL 3.0, just 2.1.

This means that we'll have to wait till a refresh in Q1 2009 to have 3.0 on our computers, and even longer to have apps/games incorporating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radon View Post
      It's MIA for sure. The new graphics cards coming later this year won't be supporting OpenGL 3.0, just 2.1.

This means that we'll have to wait till a refresh in Q1 2009 to have 3.0 on our computers, and even longer to have apps/games incorporating it.

I thought it was enough to have DX10 capable hardware?

Comment

Really? It's very interesting, do you have any more info on this?

Comment

GF5+, RadeOn 9500+ for the baseline of OpenGL 3.0, 3.1 should add support for GF8+/RadeOn HD2+ and SM4+, IIRC.

Comment

Heh... 3.0's nothing TOO special. It doesn't incorporate much of any new APIs either as mainline or ARB extensions- it's more of an API cleanup that is intended to deprecate/remove some old functionalities that few people use and so forth. Post 3.0 is where it gets interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              I thought it was enough to have DX10 capable hardware?
              Indeed, it is. If the vendor provides the hardware and driver support for DX10 functionality, they can provide it as an exposed ARB extension right now anyhow- and I do believe they had most of the needed ARB extensions ratified at this point in time.

Comment

Hello
                @deanjo: interesting
                @Radon: OpenGL tends to build on previous boards, so if I hear nvidia GF5200 will support OpenGL 3.0 it is plausible.

@Svartalf: "Heh... 3.0's nothing TOO special" Yes, I've heard 3.0 is just a "cleanup", not a feature release.
                But I disagree it is unimportant: every release depends on the previous, and delaying one of them delays many future releases. Testing 3.0 takes time too...

Actually, I was hoping someone can contact the OpenGL ARB and let us know what is happening with OpenGL 3.0.
                Or maybe an insider can post here the status of the project.

Bye for now,
                Bogdan
                Last edited by bogdanbiv; 13 March 2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I believe it is the Kronos Group who now has control over the OpenGL SPEC. You should try contacting them directly, and post back your report
                  Last edited by edged; 17 March 2008, 01:18 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

can't find Kronos contact

Even their contact email address has gone missing from the site. http://www.khronos.org/about/contact/

It's a sad day for science!

Originally posted by edged View Post
                    I believe it is the Kronos Group who now has control over the OpenGL SPEC. You should try contacting them directly, and post back your report
                    PS: In fact the reason of creating this thread is my inability to find a contact mail address from Khronos in the first place.

Did they took a trip to Mars?

Have a nice day,
                    Bogdan

Comment

Working...
                    X