In-Fighting Continues Over Mir On Non-Unity Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    Because, more people are probably going use Mir and Ubuntu than there are Wayland users in all other distros.
    First, the question is how many of those people are going to use kwin. Probably pretty much only kubuntu users, and kubuntu is not a majority of KDE users, it probably not even the most popular kde-centric distro anymore.

Second, rampant speculation is not good evidence.

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    And KDE already have special single "distro" support in there Windows initiative, and I would guess that amount
    of Windows users interested in running KDE is less than the amount of Ubuntu users interested in running KDE
    (because of Windows users never heard of KDE).
    kwin does not support windows and never will.

Comment

I switched from Kubuntu to Opensuse Kde. I was resistant to Opensuse because of their deal with Microsoft but generally they seem to be a distro that seeks to empower users and support the wider community. Debian does not use SystemD. It seems to me that convergence on Wayland and SystemD is the way forward.

To my mind Canonical can not be trusted as the newbies distro or the default distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
        I use Xubuntu and are a very vocal supporter of it. But it kind of ticks me off that the devs of Xubuntu have been so quiet on this issue, last I heard they said it shouldn't be a problem. I'm starting to get very upset at this whole situation with Canonical. In recent day's I've been giving Debian 7.1 a hard look but it seems like there are things missing that put me off. Critical things that are missing is the ease that *buntu has of installing AMD/Nvidia drivers via Jockey-gtk; I have to manually type out some things via the terminal in Debian and edit the Xorg config...yes for you old hats it's cool but for people whom have moved from Windows to Linux it's just not.

Also missing, of course is the Software Center and over the past few day's I've been reading horror stories about Unity games and other games having issues running in Debian. It's one of those things you want as an alternative, but there is this brick wall staring at you. I'd choose Mint except it's just too crash happy on my systems and those guys are very moody about people asking for ways to buy software. I've seen people lose their mod rights for asking about bringing the Software Center to Mint...not cool.

My only other option it seems is dirty Windows, but you couldn't pay me to use that again. So now I'm in limbo, hoping they can all work this out and wishing the Xubuntu team would be more vocal.
        Why are you only considering Debian derived distributions, especially when the alternative, as you see it, is Windows?

Comment

If I was Canonical, I would stick with Wayland. As far as I know, Wayland contributors have been open to receiving patches from Canonical to suit Canonical's needs.
          The KDE and GNOME work that Canonical would do is just making Qt5 and GTK3 Mir-compatible. Old libraries and non-ported software should stick to X through XMir.

I can't say much more, I don't have deep technical knowledge on what Wayland and Mir do, and what differences they have and why Canonical decided to make their own display server, without falling in biased information.

Comment

What is an ABI?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              I use Xubuntu and are a very vocal supporter of it. But it kind of ticks me off that the devs of Xubuntu have been so quiet on this issue, last I heard they said it shouldn't be a problem. I'm starting to get very upset at this whole situation with Canonical. In recent day's I've been giving Debian 7.1 a hard look but it seems like there are things missing that put me off. Critical things that are missing is the ease that *buntu has of installing AMD/Nvidia drivers via Jockey-gtk; I have to manually type out some things via the terminal in Debian and edit the Xorg config...yes for you old hats it's cool but for people whom have moved from Windows to Linux it's just not.

Also missing, of course is the Software Center and over the past few day's I've been reading horror stories about Unity games and other games having issues running in Debian. It's one of those things you want as an alternative, but there is this brick wall staring at you. I'd choose Mint except it's just too crash happy on my systems and those guys are very moody about people asking for ways to buy software. I've seen people lose their mod rights for asking about bringing the Software Center to Mint...not cool.

My only other option it seems is dirty Windows, but you couldn't pay me to use that again. So now I'm in limbo, hoping they can all work this out and wishing the Xubuntu team would be more vocal.
              Personally, I don't find Debian to be the best option for someone who is just coming over from Windows. Aside from the reasons you mentioned, it uses pointlessly old packages (they're for stability purposes, but really, some newer packages are much more stable). And if you decide to use sid, you get slightly newer packages (but still old) but you'll find that your system breaks more often than cutting-edge distros like Arch. Debian isn't a bad distro, but it seems to be best for older computers and computers that rely on software consistency.

openSUSE or Linux Mint are IMO good distros to transition from Windows. I don't see regular Ubuntu as being the easiest transition from Windows, but, I don't think it's very hard to use. Also, if you're going to use linux, you should really get used to avoiding things like the Software Center - getting used to it will make transitions to more "advanced" distros like Debian more confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                What is an ABI?
                "Application binary interface", basically how one compiled program can talk to another compiled program. If two things are API compatible, that means a program written for one can be compiled against the other. If two things are ABI compatible, a program compiled against one can run with the other without recompiling.

So saying that Mir does not promise API compatibility means that a program written for one version of Mir can not necessarily be compiled against another version without parts being rewritten. Saying it does not promise ABI compatibility means that a program compiled against one version of Mir will not necessarily run using another version.

Comment

For those looking for the latest drama in the Ubuntu Linux land, the fighting over whether KDE and GNOME should support the Mir Display Server to complement the in-development Wayland support continues to be hotly discussed.
                  Hotly discussed? The only emails from GNOME were by me and there was nothing emotional about it. Crappy reporting!

Comment

Is anyone still using Ubuntu? I thought we'd all moved to Mint.

Comment

Display managers can be killed and replaced from console

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Um, Ubuntu will ship Wayland, just with no QA and without the ability to switch from a Mir session to a Wayland session without reboot because the display manager would be required to support both and so far no party is willing to support both in any display manager (this includes Canonical with its LightDM).
                      If this is the ONLY problem, you could ctrl=alt-F2 (-F6) to a console, kill lightdm, and start up a different display manager. What would screw this up would be if it became impossible to switch display servers because of either an inability to start one post-boot (a KMS issue perhaps) or because killing the "sytem compositor" knocked out your TTY's and no replacement for them was started.

To switch between them, I believe they would need driver compatability at least in the KMS parts, and all would have to be able to be started from a console, plus the boot sequence would have to NOT pick one as a "system compositor" treating X, Wayland, and Mir all the way X in UMS used to be treated. With common-driver compatability this should be possible, also with proprietary UMS drivers that might work. If a driver or anything else specific to one display server can't be unloaded, that's another matter.

Hell, right now I can't even TEST this stuff because it can't be installed without removing my Cinnamon desktop. I did fire up a "Rebecca Black OS" DVD and got it running on an AMD FX8120 with Radeon 6750 graphics, but at this early stage it was prone to freezing. Never once managed to install enough of Wayland in my main system to allow me to go to console, kill off lightdm and X, and get Wayland running, however. Haven't even tried to play with Mir, would have to do so with a stripped version of Unity with all scopes removed for my purposes.
                      Last edited by Luke; 18 June 2013, 04:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                      X