Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can use opensuse it has 1 click installs

Comment

The funny thing about KDE is that they aren?t even going to accept any Mir patches, because it's a singe distro solution.
      This is funny because? You may ask.

Because, more people are probably going use Mir and Ubuntu than there are Wayland users in all other distros.
      And KDE already have special single "distro" support in there Windows initiative, and I would guess that amount
      of Windows users interested in running KDE is less than the amount of Ubuntu users interested in running KDE
      (because of Windows users never heard of KDE).

I may understand the angriness of the KDE developers but they should probably spend 10 seconds coming up
      with a less obvious answer. Something like "we hate Canonical" would be a lot more serious.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Mir dev's "We would like to port kde to Mir ourselves, but we just need some pointers"

Kde dev "Go fuck yourselves"

Zealots "See, Ubuntu doesn't try to work with upstream"

Everyone else "The hell?"
        The reality distortion field is strong in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          The funny thing about KDE is that they aren’t even going to accept any Mir patches, because it's a singe distro solution.

Because, more people are probably going use Mir and Ubuntu than there are Wayland users in all other distros.
          And KDE already have special single "distro" support in there Windows initiative, and I would guess that amount
          of Windows users interested in running KDE is less than the amount of Ubuntu users interested in running KDE
          (because of Windows users never heard of KDE).

I may understand the angriness of the KDE developers but they should probably spend 10 seconds coming up
          with a less obvious answer. Something like "we hate Canonical" would be a lot more serious.
          So how does the Windows support look like? There are progams like Okular for Windows, which probably isn't that dramatic considering that Qt is a multiplatform framework. If you could enlighten me on how to run the complete KDE Plasma Workspace with KWin on Windows 7 I will forever praise you as the King of the Internet.

According to the Steam Hardware Survey there are just as much non-Ubuntu users as Ubuntu users. Considering that Steam is officially supported only on Ubuntu there might even be a Ubuntu-bias to this.
          Last edited by blackout23; 18 June 2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            I use Xubuntu and are a very vocal supporter of it. But it kind of ticks me off that the devs of Xubuntu have been so quiet on this issue, last I heard they said it shouldn't be a problem. I'm starting to get very upset at this whole situation with Canonical. In recent day's I've been giving Debian 7.1 a hard look but it seems like there are things missing that put me off. Critical things that are missing is the ease that *buntu has of installing AMD/Nvidia drivers via Jockey-gtk; I have to manually type out some things via the terminal in Debian and edit the Xorg config...yes for you old hats it's cool but for people whom have moved from Windows to Linux it's just not.

Also missing, of course is the Software Center and over the past few day's I've been reading horror stories about Unity games and other games having issues running in Debian. It's one of those things you want as an alternative, but there is this brick wall staring at you. I'd choose Mint except it's just too crash happy on my systems and those guys are very moody about people asking for ways to buy software. I've seen people lose their mod rights for asking about bringing the Software Center to Mint...not cool.

My only other option it seems is dirty Windows, but you couldn't pay me to use that again. So now I'm in limbo, hoping they can all work this out and wishing the Xubuntu team would be more vocal.
            Xubuntu's upstream desktop (XFCE) has no plans to support anything but X at the moment, so not much xubuntu can do aside from sticking with X.

Comment

I use Xubuntu and are a very vocal supporter of it. But it kind of ticks me off that the devs of Xubuntu have been so quiet on this issue, last I heard they said it shouldn't be a problem. I'm starting to get very upset at this whole situation with Canonical. In recent day's I've been giving Debian 7.1 a hard look but it seems like there are things missing that put me off. Critical things that are missing is the ease that *buntu has of installing AMD/Nvidia drivers via Jockey-gtk; I have to manually type out some things via the terminal in Debian and edit the Xorg config...yes for you old hats it's cool but for people whom have moved from Windows to Linux it's just not.

Also missing, of course is the Software Center and over the past few day's I've been reading horror stories about Unity games and other games having issues running in Debian. It's one of those things you want as an alternative, but there is this brick wall staring at you. I'd choose Mint except it's just too crash happy on my systems and those guys are very moody about people asking for ways to buy software. I've seen people lose their mod rights for asking about bringing the Software Center to Mint...not cool.

My only other option it seems is dirty Windows, but you couldn't pay me to use that again. So now I'm in limbo, hoping they can all work this out and wishing the Xubuntu team would be more vocal.
              Maybe I'm wrong but... Any ..buntu derivative can't use X as use it today, even with Mir in place? As long as I understand, Mir and X can be installed side by side without problems... So Unity use Mir and any other DE can use X.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dvanzo View Post
                Maybe I'm wrong but... Any ..buntu derivative can't use X as use it today, even with Mir in place? As long as I understand, Mir and X can be installed side by side without problems... So Unity use Mir and any other DE can use X.

Regards,

Daniel
                Yeah that's something I don't understand, too. How hard would it be to just package up Wayland or X have it install its libraries and just use that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  The funny thing about KDE is that they aren?t even going to accept any Mir patches, because it's a singe distro solution.

Um, Ubuntu will ship Wayland, just with no QA and without the ability to switch from a Mir session to a Wayland session without reboot because the display manager would be required to support both and so far no party is willing to support both in any display manager (this includes Canonical with its LightDM).

Comment

X.org will be there as it's needed for XMir. Anything supporting X.org should just run - except maybe the initialization. They would probably write some scripts or code to start XFCE/LXDE in X.org mode in early starting Mir or just use X.org/no-Mir configuration. The second seems easier to do, but that depends if core Ubuntu will want to ship with full X.org stack, and not only subsets needed for XMir. Thats theory.

Wayland support in GNOME/KDE will also be a new thing and X.org won't be dropped just like that, as that would screw up a lot of things, especially third party, and distributions oriented at more stable releases... but it's Open Source so some crazy decisions are possible

I'm only interested in stable and "normal" Xubuntu release. I hope Canonical business goals won't screw that up. I also wonder if those new magical Waylands and Mirs will have binary drivers support including nVidia Optimus/Bumblebee Current Unity needs the binary/closed nVidia driver to work correctly in the case of our company PCs.
                    Last edited by riklaunim; 18 June 2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

or you could try openSUSE, you know you don't have to stick to debian based

here's your drivers, and you can get your multimedia set up there as well very easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X