Intel GPU Driver Tries To Rip Out FBDEV Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Currently, no matter how bad the situation, I can switch to the console X was started from, and CTRL-C X. No new processes are started, it's a VT switch to the existing terminal.
    Have you ever tried this? Does it work for you that way?
    My experience is very different. I could switch eventually, but it was far away from what I would call a reasonable fast response.

Comment

Seems like a daring move, but if it's just a config setting to flip it back on I don't think it's a big deal yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        VirtualBox gets off its ass and makes a proper KMS driver like VMWare is working on/did

EDIT: Oh hey, guess they are. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAxOTk Shouldn't be an issue then.
        It seems to only be in the additions once you install them. not mainline Mesa, or the mainline Linux kernel.

Live CD's won't work on VirtualBox. (or the graphical installers...)

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
          It seems to only be in the additions once you install them. not mainline Mesa, or the mainline Linux kernel.

Live CD's won't work on VirtualBox. (or the graphical installers...)

Then we are back to my original point.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Does anyone really use console decorations? And high res is still supported, you just do a straight up DRM console instead of FBDEV console (See KMSCon)
            Well, I use fbsplash, but mostly just for the boot splash. Plymouth doesnt work well in gentoo, so fbsplash is the only good alternative.

Comment

Ha, silly Intel, this means all Linux users will be left with blank screen, might as well remove support for keyboards!

Comment

Yes, and kmscon is userspace, which means less reliability in tough situations like OOM conditions.
                In general, only a serial console is more-or-less a fail-safe method to get (OOPS/OOM) messages from the kernel. All other solutions (VT, net-console, etc) are unreliable by design.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

True, VT switch is not 100% reliable, but still moving to userspace would decrease reliability.

Comment

True, VT switch is not 100% reliable, but still moving to userspace would decrease reliability.
                    But VT switch is essentially in userspace today. Or rather it depends on userspace for the hand-off from X. So it is already as unreliable as it's going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Well, I use fbsplash, but mostly just for the boot splash. Plymouth doesnt work well in gentoo, so fbsplash is the only good alternative.

Interesting, any particular reason it doesnt work well with Gentoo? you've piqued my curiosity haha
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X