Bigger editor window and alternate text color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger editor window and alternate text color

As you may have already read, the editor window is very small and difficult to use. Perhaps there is a way to increase the width to take up more of the black space on the sides?

Also, an optional theme would be nice, perhaps with a default size 3 text. White on grey is difficult to read for long periods, especially for people over 40 or with less than perfect vision. Even a text colour change wouldn't be too disruptive to the overall theme. Below are a few test colours. I vote for either 5 (IMHO-Best) or 6. Maybe a poll would be helpful. I like your forum but if I can't read it, it's useless. There is a reason most pages use white as a background. Dark text on a light background is easier on the eye. The white background cranks down the iris a bit so text is easier to pick from backgrounds. Dark backgrounds tend to open the iris more, white text is then too bright. My ultimate suggestion is to brighten the background to just shy of white, perhaps adding a tiny bit of colour, then stick with normal black characters.

1. Test colour one, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. White on grey is just too hard to read for along periods...

2. Test colour two, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. Better, but kind of wild...

3. Test colour three, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. Even better on a grey background but again, a bit wild...

4. Test colour four, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. Normally cyan would be considered a poor choice of text colour, but in this case it's a bit of an improvement. But still not quite there yet...

5. Test colour five, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. Now this might be more acceptable. Just a hint of colour but not too far from white. I vote for Colour:LemonChiffon, at least as an alternate theme choice.

6. Test colour six, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. Better than white because it's lower contrast which tends to exacerbate myopia and astigmatism.

Test colour five again using Georgia font at size 3, this is a colour test to see if readability is better and eye strain lower. Now this might be more acceptable. Just a hint of colour but not too far from white. Let's see how BOLD CAPS Look, and BOLD ITALIC CAPS. let's not forget the lowly but often used italics.

Notice how much easier a serif font is to read than a san-serif. Those little dingys make a big difference.

Other opinions?

-Tom

P.S. How to FCKEdit Size: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=728738
    Last edited by siggma; 02 March 2008, 02:26 PM.
Working...
X