RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    People with PowerVR chips. Which are of course horrible to begin with, but hey, they do exist!
    PowerVR chips are awesome because of their efficiency compared to traditional chips like AMD and Nvidia. Drivers issues in FOSS is the result of ImagineTech unwilling
    to provide documentation let alone support due to NDA. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      PowerVR chips are awesome because of their efficiency compared to traditional chips like AMD and Nvidia. Drivers issues in FOSS is the result of ImagineTech unwilling
      to provide documentation let alone support due to NDA. *sigh*
      No, not really. They had a proprietary blob driver for the GMA 500/600. It was absolutely horrible. Wouldn't even run on absolutely anything but an ancient Ubuntu release. And the experience on Windows is also very bad, it can't even show 480p Flash videos at 30 FPS. It gets better if it uses WMP due to some driver related things, and that way it can show 720p content at 30 FPS with just some stuttering, but it's still nowhere good enough.

Comment

well im pretty sure RH!!Enterprise!! linux customers will have the proper supported and !!Certified!! hardware for RHEL7 when they decide to upgrade and the same will happen with the !!Enterprise!! software that will be used on those workstations.

taking the fact that 99% of RH customer use Firegl and Quadro class hardware a composited desktop won't be a problem at all since both are well supported in RH.

now if you don't like composited desktops you can always choose another DE with fedora or any other distro

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
          That's funny, since IIRC the most vocal supporters and the originators of gnome shell are all on the payroll of Red Hat.
          That the RHEL team doesn't like Shell is proof that it shouldn't exist. That Red Hat funds hundreds of projects doesn't mean that their core eam approves of what many of those projects are doing.

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          This is not cool. You should be happy for Gnome to deliver 2 desktop experiences. Modern and Classic. And let it bake for another half a year and then you get Gnome 3.8 in RHEL. Gnome is maturing and hopefully you will too!
          Not an adequate solution. Mate/Gnome2 is still the only desktop worth using. LXDE and XFCE still don't match up to Gnome2.

Gnome 2 wasn't broken and didn't need fixing. Perhaps the Gnome devs should have been more mature about how the handled the situation. As it stands I have no support for them just as KDE lost me with KDE4, even though their moronic "force everything to have the letter K shoehorned into it" based naming scheme never totally won me over.

Mate is doing it the right way, using the long proven good desktop and adding in only the bits of Gnome3 that are actual improvements over what already exists in Gnome2 instead of trying to reinvent the wheel after downing 2 liters of vodka and beating your self in the head with a hammer for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
            AFAIK understand Gnome classic mode it still requires graphics hardware which can do 3d. So not everyone can even run gnome 3. The very first thing I did after I upgraded my laptop from squeeze to wheezy was to remove gnome3 and install xfce.
            no, llvmpipe is also an option.. it even runs acceptably on my arm chromebook. Might not be the best option for that 10yr old computer

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              More stupid than funny. Gnome is doing fine. Nobody said everyone should love it. But hating it and bad mouthing Gnome for being RHELs choice? Not cool. Be happy for Gnome, when they make progress like this.
              Wrong, the choice isn't there even in the OSS world since most of the devs will just follow the crowd or will just get disinterested and leave.

It's like saying that having a few million distros is somehow progress, newsflash, it isn't because there is so much duplication of effort that it kills any chance of innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                You need to understand, and this is something others in a better position than I have said as well, that RH gives its employees a lot of freedom. Especially the people doing community oriented work (like the Gnome folks). It's a price of doing business. That's why it bugs the hell out of me when people talk about RH as some monolithic entity with nefarious intents towards the open source community. You literally couldn't be further from the truth.
                So what it seems happened was that the Gnome folks stayed in their world and developed what they wanted without wider considerations. This meant that serious user testing wasn't used early on in the process, and, according to the Register's report of Summit, it did enter in when Classic Mode was being developed (at that point I believe more than just the Gnome devs were involved, so I'd imagine they'd have less influence on the end result, but that's just speculation). It really has been to Gnome's detriment that they didn't take advantage of the UX people in Fedora to really help shape Shell from an early period.
                As for the execs, I'd imagine they're using CSB (corporate standard build, a.k.a. RHEL), or Windows, or Mac (depending on what exactly they're doing).
                Thanks for the info. I wasn't accusing Red Hat of any wrongdoing.

It's like saying that having a few million distros is somehow progress, newsflash, it isn't because there is so much duplication of effort that it kills any chance of innovation.
                There's not a fixed amount of development effort that will get split among a variable number of distros. There are people and corporations that want to do certain things, and they do them however they want. A lot of people split off because the folks they'd ideally like to work with have incompatible goals, stricter or less strict quality controls, or they just can't get along. If we banned every distro except Debian and every DE except Gnome, that wouldn't mean that all the work Clem has done on Cinnamon would be in Gnome instead. It probably would mean that Gnome would have rejected his submissions and he would have gotten frustrated and stopped developing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                  Thanks for the info. I wasn't accusing Red Hat of any wrongdoing.
                  No, you didn't. I just took the opportunity to clarify things as they've been explained to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    Oh my god, it is so old, how can anyone dare to use it?
                    Seriously, because it is a proven way to do things on a computer and is not changed just because some developers meant that they have to try something new because the old stuff is so boring.
                    Don't try to turn the argument in the opposite direction. I replied to a claim that no one likes or needs GS.
                    GNOME Shell is a modern UI and therefore is flexible enough to support a traditional DE layout through extensions. Same with Plasma Workspaces.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      People with PowerVR chips. Which are of course horrible to begin with, but hey, they do exist!
                      In PC hardware only through Intel and Linux drivers are available.

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Neither has been quite right, IMHO, but the attempts are laudable (though I so much wish Gnome had been more experimental and imaginative).
                      The essence of actually modern DEs is extensibility. PW and to a slightly lesser degree GS allow very novel interaction concept to be implemented through extensions/widgets and scripting.

Comment

Working...
                      X