Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

Phoronix: RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

For those not out in Boston this week for the 2013 Red Hat Summit, new details on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 have emerged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome 3 isn't good enough for RedHat

If it's not good enough for RedHat ...

Comment

RHEL 7 - Great Choice

Distros going to composited 3D desktop libs and touch-centric design has driven away people who use Linux on refurb hardware, VMs, remotes/terminals, etc.

These are the scenarios where Linux used to shine (where windows can't compete). But its been a mess the last few years.

It's great news that we might have a modern distro that forgoes developer ego, in favor of actual usability.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        If it's not good enough for RedHat ...
        Erm, Classic Mode is a part of GNOME 3. It is the Shell with a set of extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by bernieplugable View Post
          Distros going to composited 3D desktop libs and touch-centric design has driven away people who use Linux on refurb hardware, VMs, remotes/terminals, etc.

These are the scenarios where Linux used to shine (where windows can't compete). But its been a mess the last few years.

It's great news that we might have a modern distro that forgoes developer ego, in favor of actual usability.
          Classic mode is a composited 3D accelerated desktop - it's the Shell with a set of extensions - and the design of the basic Shell is not remotely touch-centric. Have you tried using it on a touch screen? It doesn't work that well.

Comment

lol

no one wants to use gnome 3 shell... its simply bad

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              no one wants to use gnome 3 shell... its simply bad
              Simply wrong.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Simply wrong.
                you use it? lol

Comment

Red Hat not eating its own dog food and going for the non-default option by default. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    you use it? lol
                    Not sure about them, but I use it on a daily basis at work... and it works just fine for me.

Radeon 5400 w/ OSS drivers
                    2x 1080p monitors
                    Gnome Shell (3.8)
                    Ubuntu 13.04

I've usually got 2-3 workspaces open on each monitor, and things are nice and fast/stable for me. It definitely lets me get my work done (Java/JSP/Web Dev).

Comment

Working...
                    X