Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexuiz 2.4 Offers Impressive Graphics

Phoronix: Nexuiz 2.4 Offers Impressive Graphics

Since the release of Nexuiz 1.0 in 2005, we have been tracking its progress as one of the leading open-source first person shooters. With time, this fast-pace game has picked up a nice level of artificial intelligence for its in-game bots, engine optimizations, single-player campaign missions, and a variety of technical advancements. Nexuiz has always been one of the leading open-source first person shooter games, and with the release of Nexuiz 2.4 yesterday it reaffirms that you don't need to be a major game studio -- or a game studio at all -- to develop a quality title and even for being a free software game it has impressive graphics. With the graphical settings near maximized, a GeForce 8600GT on a quad-core system was brought to its knees by this free software (and free content) game.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great article, Michael

There's only one small typo:

Nezuix supports such features as real-time dynamic lighting, [...]
    Where Nezuix should be Nexuiz

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Great article, Michael

There's only one small typo:

Where Nezuix should be Nexuiz

Oops, thanks Dennis
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for this article. The game looks great. Anyone tried this version with 6.8.0 (or higher) version of open-source radeon or FGLRX driver?
        Yesterday, I'v run Nexuiz 2.3 on Kubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) development version with ATI 6.8.0 and Mesa 7.0.3rc2 on 2.6.24 kernel and I saw that opponents aren't displayed, the game flashes frequently and overall performance is drastically getting down if there are any opponents on the screen (even on low graphic settings) on radeon 9600.
        Is it driver/mesa related problem or the game?
        How about that with Nexuiz 2.4? (I haven't time to check that yet)

Comment

I highly doubt that the Radeon driver will work with Nexuiz (2.4) at this stage. It should work fine with fglrx though.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
            Thanks for this article.
            I'm wondering... how well does the multiseat + TV configuration work with the Radeon driver?

Comment

By the way, I think we consider at least the "Ultimate" quality setting to be mostly an insider joke - or mostly a gfx card stress test.

I'm of course thrilled to hear that Nexuiz 2.4 may become part of the Phoronix test suite!

Comment

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
                mostly an insider joke
                I suppose referring to crysis

Great work, by the way.

Comment

Cool, I'm gonna have to try this out, I've played the older versions of Nexuiz though. My only complaint about Nexuiz isn't really its fault. Its just there aren't alot of North America players/servers so its hard to get a decent ping.

Comment

Yeah, the Ultimate setting is near unplayable. Me thinks we are approaching dual card territory now .

With my HD2900XT and the latest fglrx the game runs superb. At 1680x1050, 4xAA and 16xAF forced in the driver, and with most of the effects turned to max (except the ambient dynamic lights/shadows), I can play with passable frames; the lowest the fps counter has gone is 15fps, but that's with 10+ people on screen with a crapload of explosions going off.
                    Last edited by Melcar; 01 March 2008, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X