Canonical Working On Mir's Performance, Mir On Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    There already is. The APIs that are available on desktop Linux are available on most distros. Except that Ubuntu is trying to break that with Mir. They want their own special OS apart from the rest of the ecosystem. Ubuntu tries to be to Linux what MacOS is to BSD.

No, it really hasn't. It's a really bad thing. Wake the fuck up, you can't keep shoving your head in the sand forever.

I'm not American. That's the point here - people who have no chance to affect the matters in USA are being spied on. USA kills innocent civilians with drones, forces their legislation on other countries, acts like it can do whatever it wants and the world just has to deal with it... kind of like what Microsoft does in the software world.

What are you on about now? You're all over the place. Facebook already uses open source on it's servers. Open source doesn't make sense in the context of a web service. How do you define open source in a web service? The page source is readable to anyone. The software that runs the servers is open source. That's not even remotely the point here, open source can be used to do bad or good things just like closed source.

Bullshit. My computer is safe, because I don't allow microsoft spyware on it. I don't use google services, I don't use facebook, I encrypt my hard drive. I use Linux so I don't get spyware or trojans. That's again not the point. We don't have to accept that premise, we don't have to accept the surveillance. There can be an open internet without people getting spied on and their privacy violated. That's something we need to strive for.

Yeah I figured you'd say that. That's how they get you though. If you want to implement a police state, you can't spring it on people all at once. You have to take small steps, and make every step look "necessary" in order to "protect people" or for "national security" or some such bullshit. When the steps are small, people will give up their freedoms without even noticing it.

Microsoft wanted to implement Trusted Computing with their Palladium scheme. People were outraged, so they postponed it, and now they're going for the slow-n-steady approach.

This is a public forum, anyone can read this. And no, they can't trace my connection without the site owner's cooperation.

It sure as hell doesn't look like it.

So in other words, you care about ethics as long as it's convenient for you. Being ethical is always possible, it's a choice you have to make. You may have to sacrifice some comfort or luxury to do it, though. Kind of like how you have to pay a little bit extra if you want to buy fair trade coffee or ethically produced clothes or free range eggs.

Blah blah. Who cares? The average user doesn't need or want to install new drivers. Those who do, don't have problems using CLI.

Again, it won't last. When Ubuntu goes full-on Mir and isolates themselves from every other distro, and destroys compatibility with the Linux ecosystem... it will go badly for them.

Right, because you're supporting a criminal organization. You're practically paying protection money to them to maintain your level of comfort. So excuse me but I don't really envy you at all. I value my freedom more than comfort. I can do all the computing I need without being a slave to criminals.

.. in short, all i'm saying is that, provide me the same comfort with your "freedom". and we will se a massive amount of OEMs and people and software houses that will be very happy to rid themselves from this terrible, terrosist criminal.Or simply they will be happy to get rid of the microsoft tax.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      .. in short, all i'm saying is that, provide me the same comfort with your "freedom". and we will se a massive amount of OEMs and people and software houses that will be very happy to rid themselves from this terrible, terrosist criminal.Or simply they will be happy to get rid of the microsoft tax.
      Me? Why do you ask me to provide you comfort? Do something yourself. It's easy to whine on the forums that people should do something. Takes some effort to actually go and make things happen...

Comment

Me? Why do you ask me to provide you comfort? Do something yourself. It's easy to whine on the forums that people should do something. Takes some effort to actually go and make things happen...
        I think i do my fair share of helping others outside computing( i'm kind of a field psychologist, if the definition even exist. or if you wish, someone that helps others getting back on their feet through a personalized process- and most of these people does not even know it until they realize how much they've changed in the process).

Now please, help me back so that i can have my freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          No, I entirely don't wont to have any proprietary at all.
          I want GPL3 and later. I don't want 2 year old outdated brick thrown out as unsupported outdated GPL2. By the way, there is no such thing as "GPL2", there is only GPL and its lastest revision is 3.
          And then there's the LGPL v2, v2.1 and v3
          And then there's the AGPL v1 and v3 (and technically v2 as a transition from v1 to v3)

And then you GPL v2 and v3, and there are many projects that remove the 'or later' clause because the license functions fine as is.
          If people want to generate license incompatibilities with GPLv2 only projects they can move onto GPLv3, that's their prerogative for causing fragmentation.

Comment

No one buys an ipad. Android is winning the tablet market. The only ones buying ipads and iphones are hipsters with too much money to spend and government facilities/schools that have been hustled/bribed by lobbyists with Apple connections.
            are you drunk? cumulative ipad shipments are well over 140 million, iphone i believe is near on 350 million.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
              are you drunk? cumulative ipad shipments are well over 140 million, iphone i believe is near on 350 million.
              what can you do, when someone lives in his own reality, he will have an uncanny tendency to be unable to see what's happening around him.

sorry if i sounded trollish in my last post. But it was to make a point: i'm not a coder, i'm not interested in being one. So, do i have a right to be FREE and enjoy at the same time some degree of comfort, or do i have to subjugate my will to the mighty freedom devs?I'm sorry but me and most of the people will choose to submit to another imposing dev, that might take away my freedom but at least is willing to listen and give me comfort.
              Last edited by sireangelus; 17 June 2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what is even being discussed anymore.

Can we put all GPL/BSD/Apache/any other license discussion in one section of the forum and ban discussion in another part?

I have no idea why you guys debate one another, no one is going to even consider the opinion of the other, so its a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  I have no idea what is even being discussed anymore.

Can we put all GPL/BSD/Apache/any other license discussion in one section of the forum and ban discussion in another part?

I have no idea why you guys debate one another, no one is going to even consider the opinion of the other, so its a moot point.
                  this is not about gpl/bsd/apache. It was a discussion about the fact that what users need and demand is very different from what developers think it's right for them and the idiocy of thinking that everyone should be able to code and do it himself if you don't like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X