Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA DRM Driver Finally Proposed For Mainline Linux

Phoronix: VIA DRM Driver Finally Proposed For Mainline Linux

It looks like with the Linux 3.11 kernel there is finally the potential for the VIA DRM graphics driver that's long been in development to enter the mainline kernel source tree...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good

good for peopleo who have via hardware, but i dont see any future on via graphics for future

Comment

Via is interested in android now, so I think that's where the focus should be to get that working.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        Via is interested in android now, so I think that's where the focus should be to get that working.
        Isn't that totally different hw, based on ARM? Newer more powerful models are coming with ARM Mali.

Comment

OhmeinGott.
          It's finally becoming reality. I still have 3 or 4 working VIA GPU onboard chips. And a few in broken hardware. Will they finally see the light of day?
          Seeing libv posting here, it has been a long way...
          My first CLE266 and the long road of waiting and disappointments. From a VESA driver over libv's xf86-video-via to unichrome or whatever it was called, to openchrome which I still use. But always a bit incomplete. Some releases mpeg2 accel would work, sometimes not.
          Thanks to the devs still working on this old hardware even though I avoid(ed) VIA's chips for a longer period now. Just too much hassle. AMD fulfilled all my needs now with GPUs.
          If they are interested in Android it is more likely HTC (they're married anyway, right?), and as libv said these devices normally run ARM + something embedded GPUish hardware.

It's still sad that VIA didn't manage to get things right. Back in the days their ideas with low power boards (ITX) were quite convincing.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            Openchrome is not targeted to Via's whims, but to Via's hardware. It's for the users, which Via didn't treat well enough, not for giving Via free work. If Via have learnt anything from their previous failures, they will know how to take care of their new users on Android correctly by themselves, or actually COLLABORATING with the FOSS community.

Comment

Working...
            X