Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4600 Performance On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
    Yes! You can find product information like this at ark.intel.com. In particular, the i7-4770R appears to have the Iris Pro 5200.
    now that's a good news for me, i hope that this Iris Pro 5200 will bring good performance for gaming using open source drivers.

Kayden is it possible to get a copy of the windows openGL 3.0 and above stack under MIT or Zlib license?

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      You hit the nail on the head. I think Intel's gap Windows vs Linux (OS) is smaller than the gap in AMD (Windows vs Linux Catalyst). On top of that, you have the huge gap (a factor 2 to 3 in many cases) between AMD Catalyst vs AMD OS. So, yes, whenever that comparison is published, it will be very useful. Haswell in Linux should work much faster as they add proper optimizations.

I need to upgrade my PC, and on the Hardware side, I see much better value in getting an A10-6800k (rather than an i5 Haswell), but the software is most likely going to kill it. I have nothing too philosophical against using binary drivers, but I've had so many little issues with both Nvidia and ATI that I avoid them like the plague. So, as it stands, the Haswell costs me 50% more and gives me twice the performance in graphics, and 50% more CPU. So, it's kinda like a better value. Of course, the total cost is higher, so I'll need to figure out whether I need the extra performance, or I can live with the A10-6800k. Decisions, decisions.
      The 6800K is useless when you have the much cheaper 5800K that does the same thing at the same frequencies.

Comment

Yes! You can find product information like this at ark.intel.com. In particular, the i7-4770R appears to have the Iris Pro 5200.
        R series are chips which don't come separately from the motherboard, which isn't a good idea in general. Do you expect them to put Iris in standalone chips as well or nothing is certain yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
          now that's a good news for me, i hope that this Iris Pro 5200 will bring good performance for gaming using open source drivers.

Kayden is it possible to get a copy of the windows openGL 3.0 and above stack under MIT or Zlib license?
          The Windows driver is closed source today. If you're asking whether that could change in the future, I have no idea, as I'm not at all involved with the Windows software team. I personally believe it will never happen, just as I'm skeptical that AMD Catalyst or nVidia's binary driver would ever be open sourced.
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            R series are chips which don't come separately from the motherboard, which isn't a good idea in general. Do you expect them to put Iris in standalone chips as well or nothing is certain yet?
            Oh, I didn't realize that. Sorry...other than what I read on the internet, I really have no idea. We'll just have to wait and see.
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Mind you, that part sells for more than $300, and it'll come soldered on the motherboard. Hardly a desktop CPU.

Comment

Glad to see that in this article Michael tried to use the correct name "HD Graphics 4600" (although there was one slip somewhere around the middle of the article).

Sadly most commenters here still don't grasp that and continue calling it "HD 4600"

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  The 6800K is useless when you have the much cheaper 5800K that does the same thing at the same frequencies.
                  Well, the 6800K supports DDR3 2133, while the 5800K only 1866. There is a 14% gain there, both for CPU and graphics ...

Comment

Well, the 6800K supports DDR3 2133, while the 5800K only 1866. There is a 14% gain there, both for CPU and graphics ...
                    Blame Intel for coming up with the most convoluted naming scheme ever, as well as making constant jabs at AMD GPUs.

The best one is the "GMA X4500HD" which was around around the time that the ATI X series was still very common, and several systems still came with X1250 iGPUs as well as the ATI HD series was out.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
                      Mind you, that part sells for more than $300, and it'll come soldered on the motherboard. Hardly a desktop CPU.
                      It costs $468. Worse, it's OEM-only.

There are "official" and "unofficial" RAM frequencies. You can run 2400MHz RAM on an eg. Z77 mobo + Ivy Bridge CPU just fine while it only advertises 1600MHz at most and you can do this for AMD too. The RAM you buy is certified to run at a rated speed, that's all, you basically overclock it if you run it above the advertised frequency by the CPU vendor, but it will be stable.
                      Last edited by Calinou; 08 June 2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X