No announcement yet.

Previewing The New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really like how there are many articles per line.
    One article per line would be good. You read it, you scroll.

Comment

text

does anyone else find the text on that screenshot really hard to read? when i compare to normal web site it's way worse for readability but i don't know if it's some kind of image compression thing or some kind of browser issue or what. i tried on two different monitors, and tried reducing to 100% zoom and still shocking.

Comment

not the best design in town

The shown design does not offer a good focus on the article flow. Maybe articles should be divided categorically like the News, USA, Op-edge columns in this example: http://rt.com/ and have their own flow. If you want to add an advertisement in the form of an article you can add it to the top in a single column. But the design definitely needs smaller fonts and more focused layouts.

Comment

Are you outsourcing the design to Dsch?rmenie?
          "Kategorie"

Comment

Why?

This is just change for the sake of change. Absolutely nothing is changed for the better in the new one.

I've been a phoronix reader for over three years and seen many good websites ruin their design/layout in that time (even big ones like YouTube, etc)

Luckily Phoronix has been the one website whose layout has stayed sane. And visually pleasing. Heck, I even thought about writing an e-mail to Michael a year ago just telling him how good his site's current layout is and that he should never have to think about changing it. Just to make sure this day would never come.

Sigh. I know I'm not the one calling the shots here. But I'm still very, very dissatisfied.

Comment

I like it. How will be the mobile version? Will the forums aesthetics mimic the new desing?

Thank you,

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Luckily Phoronix has been the one website whose layout has stayed sane. And visually pleasing. Heck, I even thought about writing an e-mail to Michael a year ago just telling him how good his site's current layout is and that he should never have to think about changing it. Just to make sure this day would never come.
                The current design is rather ugly, it doesn't fit well inside of a 1080px wide window, and it's almost impossible to use on a mobile device.

Lots of room for improvement here, but we'll see.

Comment

Hmmmm, it's nice, but you should make it POP more.

Comment

The screenshot looks like it's been taken on a 4:3 Display. How will it look on a 16:9 screen? Will it be aligned to the left? Then you should move the right-hand sidebar to the left in order to have the main articles more centered. And why is the sidebar not aligned to the top-bar's right edge leaving a vertical white gap?

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
                      I like it. How will be the mobile version? Will the forums aesthetics mimic the new desing?

Thank you,
                      That will pretty much require replacing the software. Styling anything but the colours in vBulletin is about as pleasant as chewing barbed wire.

Comment

Working...
                      X