Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void Linux: A Rolling-Release Distro From Scratch

Phoronix: Void Linux: A Rolling-Release Distro From Scratch

Void Linux is a rolling-release Linux distribution that focuses upon speed, reliability, and flexibility. Void Linux deploys is built from scratch, deploys its own XBPS package manager, and builds upon existing packages like systemd and DKMS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos aside, this is some interesting news. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the heads-up, Michael. ^_^

Edit: for those interested, there's a ~216MB x86_64 liveCD and ~210MB i686 liveCD (seems like it's a CLI/base system), and a larger Gnome i686 liveCD.
    Last edited by Nobu; 05 June 2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

So, what separates this from Arch, Gentoo, or Slackware? Seriously, we don't need another distro, especially another package manager. If anything, we need to remove some.

Comment

Gentoo's "Package" manager is completely different; I think that alone warrants it's existence separate from other distributions.

Void seems more closely kin to ArchLinux, except (it appears) that packages are locally built from source in Void. It's not clear whether you can install packages built elsewhere or not, but the way they word it makes it seem like it's possible.

Slackware is different...that's about all I know of it. From what I've gathered (and this is from old memory, my brain may have had some bit-swappage meanwhile), you pretty much have a base set of (source/binary) software that they provide, and if you want to install anything else you get it from upstream. There is no "Package Manager". Like Gentoo, I'd say that's sufficiently different.
        Last edited by Nobu; 05 June 2013, 11:40 PM. Reason: source/binary? ...bit-swappage already. >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
          Gentoo's "Package" manager is completely different; I think that alone warrants it's existence separate from other distributions.
          Portage can easily set up a cross-compiler, with one command, and quickly set up an embedded system. Now, THAT alone justifies its existence.

Comment

Slackware is different... [...] There is no "Package Manager". Like Gentoo, I'd say that's sufficiently different.
            There are however "unofficial" package managers (you have to install them by yourself) -- slapt-get, swaret, possibly more, but I'm not sure about the state of maintenance they're in. I've used swaret back in the days I used Slackware on my home internet gateway, and it did the basic job of installing/removing/updating stuff pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by SevenOfMine
              Why not implement these ideas in an existing distro that's already close to their mindset?
              Maybe because in some cases this could involve more work than simply creating your own distro, and then there's no guarantee that the surrogate distro would accept your solution as default, so you end up (at the very least) with a separate spin despite it all. Why not just go all the way, if it floats your boat?

Comment

Void seems more closely kin to ArchLinux, except (it appears) that packages are locally built from source in Void. It's not clear whether you can install packages built elsewhere or not, but the way they word it makes it seem like it's possible.
                You can do that with Arch Linux aswell and I don't mean the AUR. Simpy "abs <repo>/<package>" cd to your Arch Build System directory and "makepkg -i". There are also wrappers that build official packages from source like "yaourt -Sb <package>".

I really don't get it why people litter the Linux world with useless crap distros that really don't have anything unique.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  More fragmentation. Less chance for linux to become mainstream. It's that simple. Stop producing distros is the solution.
                  Yeah, don't you just hate when people are allowed to do what they want? It's so much better with proprietary software, where your hated "basement dwellers" don't get to innovate new things at all, everything is the same safe, pre-chewed corporate product...

Comment

Working...
                  X