Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Installer Comes For Google Nexus 4

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Installer Comes For Google Nexus 4

An installer has come about to easily install Fedora 19 for ARM on the unlocked Google Nexus 4 smart-phone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is definitely cool. What would be real neat though, would be to get the RIL stuff working -- network, dialer, phone, etc., so you could actually use the thing as a phone.

Right now, I see Freedreno being really awesome for two use cases; either to replace the adreno blobs on an actual Android build, or for tablets/STB's/etc., that don't need to work as a phone.

As a developer's tool/toy, its cool on N4, but obviously not practical for end users.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      That is definitely cool. What would be real neat though, would be to get the RIL stuff working -- network, dialer, phone, etc., so you could actually use the thing as a phone.

Right now, I see Freedreno being really awesome for two use cases; either to replace the adreno blobs on an actual Android build, or for tablets/STB's/etc., that don't need to work as a phone.

As a developer's tool/toy, its cool on N4, but obviously not practical for end users.
      yeah, it is really intended as a toy/demo. Or maybe call it a "technology preview"... since it sounds more impressive :-P

of course, if someone wanted to write a gnome-shell extension dialer app, that would be kinda spiffy.

BR,
      -R

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Is that even possible?
        why wouldn't it be? I think you'd just need gobject bindings around whatever RIL/telephony API android has (and maybe some libhybris glue).. or maybe split that out into a seperate process and use dbus to communicate, for better isolation between the gnome-shell process and the radio stuff.

Comment

Extensions are disabled during lock down. Im not so sure about dbus since Android use another IPC. However a well designed shell feature covering talk would be great. It really needs to take Contacts, Notifications, Lock down, on screen keyboard/dial board and sound server into acount. And probaly cover more than just telephone calls. Talk by mobile is nothing special, ot should cover any layered protocol.
          re: dbus, ofc it wouldn't be able to talk directly to android stuff.. I was more thinking talking to another process which uses libhybris to call into android telephony API.

anyways, I'm not a gnome-shell expert, I tend to focus a bit lower down the stack. So not sure about lock down. For contacts, somehow there seems to be some support for online-accounts, which afaiu includes contacts. You'd probably want to hook into that for contacts/phonebook.

BR,
          -R

Comment

Extensions are disabled during lock down. Im not so sure about dbus since Android use another IPC. However a well designed shell feature covering talk would be great. It really needs to take Contacts, Notifications, Lock down, on screen keyboard/dial board and sound server into acount. And probaly cover more than just telephone calls. Talk by mobile is nothing special, ot should cover any layered protocol.
            I think those points are where Gnome Shell really shines. It was designed to be adapted for mobile with some tweaks. Pulseaudio has that base covered for sound server as demonstrated by Tizen. systemd is obvious choice for init and for respective lock down and notification.

Comment

Working...
            X