No announcement yet.

SphinUX OS Claims To Be ~150% Faster Than GNU/Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wrote a new operating system too. It's so fast, and so efficient that it doesn't even need a hard disk, just a tiny amount of high speed flash memory. It stores all files as md5sum hashes and regenerates them on the fly from the checksums. The kernel is actually an AI that's way smarter than even Linus Torvalds himself!

But it's not compatible with the GPL, so you Linux freetards can't have it.

I call my new operating system "Bollux"

(It's easy to make ridiculous claims)

Comment

WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
        Since the kernel actually does nothing useful itself, the best metric you can say is that it gets out of the way and lets the application do its work.
        Math is hard, huh?

The kernel does all kinds of stuff. Memory allocation. File transfers. etc. You can measure the overhead of each of these. Saying that A is 100% faster than B is just an awkward way of saying that B takes +100% as much time as A (so if A takes 5ms then B takes A+100%*A=10ms). In other words, if A is 100% than it takes 50% as much time. Thus a file transfer completes in 50% of the time. Measured overhead for memory allocation takes 50% the time.

Likewise for memory usage. 300% improved memory usage is an awkward way to say that B uses +300% as much memory as A, e.g. that A uses 25% as much memory as B. (A+300%A=B, A+3A=B, 4A=B, A=1/4B, A=25%B.)

That's all a big IF of course since these claims seem fairly spectacular. At this point in the OS design game "huge" gains are like 5% with really exceptional gains hitting maybe 20%, in specific areas. 100% across the board is insane.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
          WTF?

this a joke? don t install this thing in your pc.

"the SphinUX OS can handle Hybrid graphics in a revolutionary way, using an advanced utility named SAGAS "SphinUX Advanced Graphics Adapter Switcher" to run different sessions using different graphics adapters."

lolol i spend almost a year to put my hybrid system working, this is a miracle lolol all ppl from nvidia, amd, intel, xorg, mesa3d works for nothing lolol

nice joke but its not april 1rs

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            Math is hard, huh?
            see see who is talking ...

If a kernel uses 10MB (or whatever) of RAM that's 100% ... now if you use 100% less memory that's 0 MB. And if you go above 100% you actually have your kernel provide ram that didn't exist before ... kinda a funny concept but I'd invest in it

PS: also isn't the point of the original post that the guy ridicules the bad language that leaves much ambiguity and/or is incorrect which should not happen to that extent for a serious project.
            Last edited by YoungManKlaus; 05 June 2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
              WTF?
              Wow. Talk about ridiculous. I mean who would run Unity on ArchLinux?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                No it's not normal for a text editor to use 1.5 GB RAM (looking at you eclipse you fucking pig).
                Eclipse isn't a text editor, it's an IDE, which typically use over a GB of RAM. If you're trying to use it as a text editor, that's your own fault.

And yeah, java is pretty awful about using too much memory.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  Math is hard, huh?
                  No, you missed my point, even though I stated more explicitly later. I agree that the kernel does stuff, but everything it does is in service of the applications. Once again, a "perfect" kernel would need no resources, and all cpu time and memory would be available to the applications. Of course that's silly. But people who hang out at places like this tend to like OS guts, internals, performance, etc - and may be prone to treating the OS as more important than the applications being run. That's putting the cart out in front of the horse. The OS enables the applications, and the less resources it uses to that end, the better. But it produces nothing, except to gearheads like us.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    I find these RAM-Nazis to be quite amusing everytime. How often do you hear stuff like "*mimimimi* Browser A uses 100 MB more than browser B!!!!!" Wow seriously who gives a shit about RAM usage. Might aswell just let the program write everything to disk and use 0% RAM if that somehow is considered to be cool and efficient.
                    people that run something besides the browser and people that run graphical terminal servers do care

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      Wow. Talk about ridiculous. I mean who would run Unity on ArchLinux?
                      Lots of people do (I'm the main packager )

You're probably not interested, but here's the code anyway: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch
                      Last edited by chenxiaolong; 05 June 2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X