No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulse audio has worked great for me for quite a while in the Kubuntu series. My biggest beef with PA is I still can't get bit perfect sound out of it. I have to use the deadbeef player and send the sound directly to ALSA for any critical listening. I wish there was a setting that I could use to not get it to mangle and resample the audio before it goes out to my speakers.

Comment

It seams that its incompatible with bluez5 or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
        It seams that its incompatible with bluez5 or not?
        The "TODO" List for Pulse 5 seems to IMPLY that its incompatible with Bluez5. But it may be an issue of "We're compatible, we're just not taking advantage of the features of Bluez5"

EDIT: Fixed typo in bold.
        Last edited by Ericg; 07 June 2013, 04:11 PM.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          The "TODO" List for Pulse 5 seems to IMPLY that its incompatible with Bluez5. But it may be an issue of "We're compatible, we're just taking advantage of the features of Bluez5"
          Hmm cause Arch doesn't build it with Bluez5.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            Hmm cause Arch doesn't build it with Bluez5.
            Fixed a rather important typo in my earlier comment, Thaodan.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post
              Pulse audio has worked great for me for quite a while in the Kubuntu series. My biggest beef with PA is I still can't get bit perfect sound out of it. I have to use the deadbeef player and send the sound directly to ALSA for any critical listening. I wish there was a setting that I could use to not get it to mangle and resample the audio before it goes out to my speakers.
              ALSA may also resample sound. My sound card doesn't support 44K, so ALSA has to resample everything to 48K.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Fixed a rather important typo in my earlier comment, Thaodan.
                So why it depends on bluez4 and on bluez-libs(bluez5 libs)?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                  ALSA may also resample sound. My sound card doesn't support 44K, so ALSA has to resample everything to 48K.
                  I have an Asus Xonar card and it can output 44.1K, 48K, 88K, 96K, 192K and many others. When I play a 96Khz 24bit flac song, coming out of my digital output is 96Khz and 24bit. When the next song is 44.1Khz, the output shifts to 44.1Khz.

You are correct though, you need to have hardware support as well.

Comment

So what I take away from this is the best drop-in sound card to run for most scenario's as an end-user (someone who who plays lotsa music of all types, movies and TV shows of all types, and dabbles with audio at a personal consumption level) are the CMedia X-Fi equivalent cards, then? (I forgot what the chipset ID's were sorry. CMI 87xx?)

What about the onboardies? Are they super fine, even for output to A/V recievers?

AFAIKnew the audio chip's are/can be bypassed and the reciever handles the audio muxing, sampling amping etc which how it should be if you are using one!?

I'm personally looking in to two seperate ways to do HTPC properly, with one being a micro-HTPC set up like a RaspberryPi or even Gumstix-sized approach for car and caravan installs etc, and a traditional Mini-ITX for more grunt and permanency in the home. I am trying to minimise power use, and provide maximum support with hardware (TV's, receivers, audio and vga) and media types (avi, no4, aac, mov etc).
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      So what I take away from this is the best drop-in sound card to run for most scenario's as an end-user (someone who who plays lotsa music of all types, movies and TV shows of all types, and dabbles with audio at a personal consumption level) are the CMedia X-Fi equivalent cards, then? (I forgot what the chipset ID's were sorry. CMI 87xx?)

What about the onboardies? Are they super fine, even for output to A/V recievers?

AFAIKnew the audio chip's are/can be bypassed and the reciever handles the audio muxing, sampling amping etc which how it should be if you are using one!?

I'm personally looking in to two seperate ways to do HTPC properly, with one being a micro-HTPC set up like a RaspberryPi or even Gumstix-sized approach for car and caravan installs etc, and a traditional Mini-ITX for more grunt and permanency in the home. I am trying to minimise power use, and provide maximum support with hardware (TV's, receivers, audio and vga) and media types (avi, no4, aac, mov etc).
                      Cmedia 8770 or Cmedia 8788. I think 8770 has a better driver though. But 8788 is more capable hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X