Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

Phoronix: PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

PulseAudio 4.0 is now available and with it comes many changes to this commonly used but sometimes controversial audio server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Jack handoff fixes will be really nice. My main complaint is that sometimes things break when starting/stopping jack with PA active.

Comment

I hope they fixed a few bugs while they were at it. My on some days my pulseaudio crashes very often :/ 12.04 x64

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
        I hope they fixed a few bugs while they were at it. My on some days my pulseaudio crashes very often :/ 12.04 x64
        If you want bugs to be fixed, you should file them and provide the details rather than just hope that someone else found and fixed it on their own. This is especially true for components which can have hardware dependent issues which is the case here.

Comment

The real question is: Can it silence your speakers when you plug in earphones yet?

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post
            The real question is: Can it silence your speakers when you plug in earphones yet?
            ?? That's worked for me for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post
              Check alsamixer auto-mute enabled feature. For some reason it was Disabled in Debian for myself.

I'm still waiting for PulseAudio 3.x to stop crashing with Debian Gnome 3.8.2 or KDE 4.10.2. Good thing I have alsa underneath to keep on trucking along even after Pulse craps the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Check alsamixer auto-mute enabled feature. For some reason it was Disabled in Debian for myself.

I'm still waiting for PulseAudio 3.x to stop crashing with Debian Gnome 3.8.2 or KDE 4.10.2. Good thing I have alsa underneath to keep on trucking along even after Pulse craps the bed.
                The experience in recent versions are much improved but unfortunately Debian (stable) is shipping is lagging behind quite a bit. Cherry picking newer versions from testing or unstable might be an option if you know what you are doing.

Comment

Pulseaudio is a great piece of software.

My biggest complaint is that the hardware volume buttons of my usb headset change the master volume instead of the headphone volume. I can't file a bug because I really don't know where to track the problem, if it is related to gnome-settings-daemon or pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    If you want bugs to be fixed, you should file them and provide the details rather than just hope that someone else found and fixed it on their own.
                    Why? At least on openSUSE deactivating PA is just as easy as unchecking a single checkbox in YaST.
                    Every time a new PA version landed in openSUSE, I switched it on, heard cracks and stutters especially in Flash[1], and then decided to let PA go fuck itself again.

Even if PA didn't have these bugs for me, PA simply does not offer a single benefit for me over pure ALSA. I don't have a LAN to stream audio over, I don't have Bluetooth devices, I hate all forms of telephoning, etc.

If switching something off is easier than debugging and investigating the source of a problem of a component I don't even need (!), I simply don't do it.

[1] People sometimes say it's the fault of Flash and not PA and I believe them. I'm fully aware that Flash is a POS but some websites I browse require Flash whereas nothing I do requires PA, so out goes PA.

Comment

Working...
                    X