Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8, Mir Changes Landed Last Week

Phoronix: Unity 8, Mir Changes Landed Last Week

Here's an update on the Mir display server changes and the adjoining next-generation Unity 8 user-interface that were made to end out May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey Michael,
    there is a small typo in your article:
    Some of the work accomplished last week were killing a couple Mir bugs, modifications to allow for performance debugging under Mir, still wroking to support composition bypass, and more of the Unity 8 user-interface coming together.
    @Topic: I am still quite eager to see how Mir is developing. I don't think they will be successful, but it is a matter of belief into the relatively small number of developers.
    Last edited by frign; 03 June 2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I have been following Mir development for quite some time now and I would be lying if told that I'm not impressed.Mir is starting to look a lot like Wayland.I don't know if it is good or bad but it's interesting to see.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
        @Topic: I am still quite eager to see how Mir is developing. I don't think they will be successful, but it is a matter of belief into the relatively small number of developers.
        Personally, I think they will.

Pretty much everything they made for the desktop has been more or less popular (eg. Upstart). At least, I hope it will get proprietary drivers and application support.

As usual, wait and see...

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
          Hey Michael,
          there is a small typo in your article:

Wishful thinking sucks. Really.

Mir is developing much faster than Wayland and I'm sure soon Canonical will bypass Wayland, because of testing, cleaner codebase and better language (C++). And actually there are more people involved in full-time work on Mir than on Wayland (Kristrian and...?).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            Personally, I think they will.

Pretty much everything they made for the desktop has been more or less popular (eg. Upstart). At least, I hope it will get proprietary drivers and application support.

As usual, wait and see...
            Upstart is a bad example, just like bazaar because systemd and git are (becoming) more popular.
            Canonical isn't know for upstream work or new projects, it's known for paying attention to the needs of the non technically savvy guys - which for Linux is an underrated anathema since it evolved as an OS by sys devs (assholes) for sys devs. Red Hat is apparently starting to realize this but it's still gonna lose to Canonical the desktop battle.
            Last edited by mark45; 03 June 2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
              Mir is developing much faster than Wayland and bla bla.
              Good story bro.

Comment

The facts is:
                There are a higher amount of developers working full-time on Mir than on Wayland.
                Mir is unit tested where Wayland isn't
                Mir is developed in C++11, Wayland in C
                I big distro have a schedule for when they are going to release a version with Mir

This points to that Mir will be ready before Wayland

More fact is:
                Wayland have better support by companies known for developing lasting Linux software
                Wayland developers spend more time arguing about API details
                Wayland developers have better experience of this kind of development
                Wayland isn't stressed out in production, everyone knows that they will be using Wayland eventually, but there aren?t any plans.

This points to that Wayland will last longer and get a better and more stable API that will support tomorrows needs.

The question is will Wayland become ready before or after more and more distros are saying "fuck this, Mir is good enough lets take it".

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  The facts is:
                  There are a higher amount of developers working full-time on Mir than on Wayland.
                  Mir is unit tested where Wayland isn't
                  Mir is developed in C++11, Wayland in C
                  I big distro have a schedule for when they are going to release a version with Mir

This points to that Mir will be ready before Wayland

More fact is:
                  Wayland have better support by companies known for developing lasting Linux software
                  Wayland developers spend more time arguing about API details
                  Wayland developers have better experience of this kind of development
                  Wayland isn't stressed out in production, everyone knows that they will be using Wayland eventually, but there aren?t any plans.

This points to that Wayland will last longer and get a better and more stable API that will support tomorrows needs.

The question is will Wayland become ready before or after more and more distros are saying "fuck this, Mir is good enough lets take it".
                  i agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
                    Wishful thinking sucks. Really.

Mir is developing much faster than Wayland and I'm sure soon Canonical will bypass Wayland, because of testing, cleaner codebase and better language (C++). And actually there are more people involved in full-time work on Mir than on Wayland (Kristrian and...?).
                    Wishful thinking indeed sucks...

- Mir is doing nothing faster, it's lagging behind wayland in every aspect and in all likelyhood it won't be done in time.
                    - "Testing" has nothing to do with it, it's basically just a buzzword you picked up from Jono Bacon's blog or something.
                    - Better language? GTFO. There's no such thing as a "better language". There are only tools that are more or less suitable for the task at hand. And there's absolutely no reason why C++ would be any better for writing a display server.

Comment

Working...
                    X