Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Running On Nexus 4 With The GNOME Shell

Phoronix: Freedreno Running On Nexus 4 With The GNOME Shell

The Freedreno Gallium3D graphics driver that's a reverse-engineered incarnation of the Qualcomm Snapdragon driver, has support for the A320 graphics core coming along quite well. The A320 found in the Nexus 4 is now running the Freedreno 3D driver and can even handle bearing the load of the GNOME Shell desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it means that native glibc Wayland on Snapdragon based handsets and tablets is not far away? Let's wait for Plasma Active with native Wayland to appear.

Comment

GNOME Shell on an S4, sweeeet!

KDE should also run nice on it and can't wait to have this on a tablet that uses this processor and GPU

Comment

This is the first incarnation of what it feels like gnome shell was designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Gnome was designed for keyboard actions more than anything. If you are refering to touch Im happy to tell it will become standard for laptops now. It is mandatory for Ultrabooks by the 2013 spec. Be happy for Gnome. They will have it touch enabled by 3.10.
          a few tweaks for devices without keyboard would really help.. like ditching the hot-corner or at least making it much bigger. Although some sort of swipe-from-edge (or top) to bring up overview mode would be pretty awesome.

Perhaps in the same way that 'classic-mode' is just some alternative javascript in gnome-shell, a 'touch-mode' could be created which is a bit more touch friendly? I dunno, I'll leave that to folks who know a lot more about UI design than I do, and instead just focus on giving 'em working graphics drivers so that they can work their magic :-)

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            This is the first incarnation of what it feels like gnome shell was designed for.
            Gnome was designed for keyboard actions more than anything. If you are refering to touch Im happy to tell it will become standard for laptops now. It is mandatory for Ultrabooks by the 2013 spec. Be happy for Gnome. They will have it touch enabled by 3.10.
            I'm an Xfce user, but I like GNOME 3 on desktop as well. I think it can be the basis for a good touch UI, but it will need to be reworked a little first. The general impression that I get when using GNOME 3 is that it was designed as a desktop UI first with consideration for touch support tacked on as an afterthought.

Comment

If that was the case, then why do menus take up the entire screen? The **ONLY** reason to do that is to spread out for imprecise touchscreen poking.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                a few tweaks for devices without keyboard would really help.. like ditching the hot-corner or at least making it much bigger. Although some sort of swipe-from-edge (or top) to bring up overview mode would be pretty awesome.
                The hot corner is only meaningful for a mouse-like pointing device. For touchscreen, you would just poke the general area with the activities label. The whole label is a button.

Comment

Working...
                X