The First Experience Of Intel Haswell On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Unfortunately it appears that the only thing it is going to do is steamroll AMD even deeper into troubled waters.
    Nope, Steamroller looks awesome so far, and AFAIK AMD even confirmed it's AM3+ socket compatible.
    A lot better than 10% increased performance at the cost of much hotter + increased power consumption + new socket.
    Haswell for desktop is such a letdown, guess it's decent for laptop though.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      And their claims don't fit with the reality of the situation.... AGAIN, what's sad is that this generation by all indications was supposed to have been focused on power efficiency yet power consumption and TDPs are up with real world performance gains that are well within the margin of error, and barely improving on Intel created synthetic benchmarks. As well those mobile TDPs are ridiculous 40-60Watts essentially yes I know these are their i7s but last I checked mobile CPUs generally all topped out at around a 45 watt TDP and 65 watts was considered a low end desktop part.

Comment

Ok, compare it to AMD that only recently becomes a stable SI driver after one year product launch, or to completely close nvidia requiring those who use Linux to purchase Quadro for functionality that is available to Geforce on windowse (mosaic mode). Intel supports even very old IGPs and also contributes a LOT to mesa, any ARM that does the same and works on open driver?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Nope, Steamroller looks awesome so far, and AFAIK AMD even confirmed it's AM3+ socket compatible.
          A lot better than 10% increased performance at the cost of much hotter + increased power consumption + new socket.
          Haswell for desktop is such a letdown, guess it's decent for laptop though.
          Except that Haswell's emphasis was never on desktop silicon. Sure they boasted about it here and there, but the main focus was all about their mobile chips for notebooks, ultrabooks and x86 tablets.

Off-topic: I still want a proper Surface Pro with a Haswell chip inside...but the wallet doesn't want to agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus
            The haswell architecture uses several processes to idle the cpu and to clock up/down core speed etc... meaning: if that shit is not well implemented in linux it will be a nightmare and you might as well forget it. If this phoronix guy had any trace of integrity he would publish the benchmarks and shame intel into having to actually do something... This is beyond stupid and shows how much of a fuck intel gives about linux: They didn't even bother to see or study haswell linux's performance.
            " Hey is linux working?"
            "... eh... well it boots and runs"
            "eh .. fuck it: 100% linux compatible"

If you are buying haswell hardware in the next month or so you will be buying windows 8, pure and simple, otherwise you might as well throw your money down the drain. And then intel expects people to take their android strategy seriously, what a lol. Also the age of the $500+ CPU is over... the onyl reason intel is charging these prices is because they can, AMD is a corpse who is barely twitching, they reign supreme on the desktop/laptop and can do and charge whatever they feel like. oh and then they don't understand why everyone is running in droves to tablets/smartphones/mini pc's what have you. haswell fell short on what it promised... all the i7's and i5's all come with HD4600 hd4600 the only thing it did was catch up with AMD's apu offering in terms of performance.. this is no revolution, this is no discrete card killer.
            First off... Quit the frigging Doublespacing every blasted sentence thing, I hope you can begin to grasp how annoying and difficult that is to read, I've only held my tongue so far on this matter because this is the first time I've responded to you.

Second Intel isn't doing this because it has no competition, what Haswell is happened because Intel is pretty much clawing at the walls trying as hard as it can but is not really smart enough to pull itself out. You want to know why the HD5200 Exists at all? It's their way of going full out brute force to try to say that they have better graphics on the APU side than AMD for once so that shills like Anandtech can put out what intel marketing has prepared for them to say. If you seriously look at it the only reason it exists is to beat Trinity in the GPU benchmark and while yes it's faster it's really not much faster in most games we're not even talking 10 frames per second faster. Take note that this is while the AMD part is at a severe process disadvantage 32nm vs 22nm, and Intel put a very expensive 128MB EDRAM chip on the package as part of their brute force effort. Meanwhile Kaveri which will likely be coming out for fall of this year will have not only the bump up in performance from transitioning from VLIW4 to GCN which itself should be enough to push it past the 5200 but it'll also be receiving a die shrink down to 28nm and it'll have the HSA components part of which means a shared memory space between CPU and GPU, and that's not even going into the steamroller improvements.

Furthermore from the marketing all prior to release the point of Haswell was to try once again to be lower power than ARM. Guess what didn't happen... again.. in fact they failed so hard at that they moved further away from their goal.

Intel is a great fabbing company, but their CPU department has never really been that good if you have an understanding of how this setup works, Intel basically relies upon it's 2x process advantage to keep ahead, and it's GPU division is and has always been rubbish who only became even slightly serious in response to AMD. Without Llano, Sandy Bridge would have never happened.

Comment

I just finished reading the Anandtech review of Crystalwell. Sure that embedded RAM is making it fast, but the cheapest variant costs 468$ (compared to 129$ for the 5800k trinity).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                I just finished reading the Anandtech review of Crystalwell. Sure that embedded RAM is making it fast, but the cheapest variant costs 468$ (compared to 129$ for the 5800k trinity).
                I don't think people are actually meant to buy a CPU with the 5200 in it, I'm pretty sure it mostly just exists for benchmarking sites to pat Intel on the back for.

Comment

It doesn't seem like Haswell lived up to the hype.

Of course... there was A LOT of hype over the past year.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    I don't think people are actually meant to buy a CPU with the 5200 in it, I'm pretty sure it mostly just exists for benchmarking sites to pat Intel on the back for.
                    It's not going to be "for sale", if that's what you mean. It's going to be an OEM part only. Whether anyone like Apple or Alienware picks it up, that remains yet to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      It's not going to be "for sale", if that's what you mean. It's going to be an OEM part only. Whether anyone like Apple or Alienware picks it up, that remains yet to be seen.
                      Chances are it will get picked up, especially by Apple. I can totally imagine them using those processors in their Macbook Pro lines, especially the 13" retina series, if only just to have the HD 5200 drive that ultra high-res display they have.

Comment

Working...
                      X