Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Has Some Interesting Summer GSoC Projects

Phoronix: X.Org Has Some Interesting Summer GSoC Projects

The accepted Google Summer of Code 2013 projects concerning X.Org, Nouveau, and Mesa / Gallium3D is now known. There's some exciting stuff!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have no problem in such events as this, but I think it'd be a little more productive if this were wayland, or even Mir focused. One of those 2 (maybe both) will be the replacement to X. Why not help speed up the process?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I have no problem in such events as this, but I think it'd be a little more productive if this were wayland, or even Mir focused. One of those 2 (maybe both) will be the replacement to X. Why not help speed up the process?
      Different teams, different projects. Wayland most likely doesn't peak the interest of too many summer projects [especially Mir] until the level of maturity is there to add such features.

When Wayland is actually functionally equivalent to X today then I'm sure by then the interest will help accelerate it past X. In the meantime, ignorning X is a myopic idea.

Comment

There are a few gnome and kde projects that are related towards wayland, too

I doubt Canonical is even willing to take outside contributions to mir from a student program like this. It's under heavy development right now with no stable API, and helping a student learn the code would probably just slow down their experienced developers more than they'd gain. Part of the GSoC means providing mentors.

Comment

This is how I see it- X will still be supported by many distros for years to come, so there's plenty of reason to leave it in better shape than it is right now. Not to mention many of these people take a primary interest in X and wouldn't be working on Wayland, anyway. If someone wants to improve the X stack in the meantime, that's a good idea if we want a smooth, less troublesome transition between these display architectures.

Comment

Besides, while these projects don't focus on Wayland or Mir, they are not specific to X either, except for one.

Comment

glamor could be used to provide device independent hw acceleration for X on wayland so it benefits both X and wayland.

Comment

Yeah, someone already mentioned it, but most of these tasks are really display server agnostic (graphics drivers and mesa).

Comment

to bring an example from history, MS worked on DOS-based OSes and NT-based ones simultaneously until the former was phased out.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    X.Org accepts GSoC/EVoC projects in the X11 stack, Mesa, DRM, & Wayland. (Mir projects would fall under Canonical, not X.Org, as the sponsoring org, and as Mir wasn't announced to the public until just before this year's GSoC process started, really didn't have a chance to get proposals.) This year, exactly zero students proposed projects working on Wayland itself, but some of the accepted Mesa & DRM projects may benefit both Mir & Wayland as underlying infrastructure.

Comment

Working...
                    X