Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

This project was dead when it began. I understand how it might be interesting for the devs to overcome some hc technical difficulties during the development process, but that's right about it.

On a side note, I saw a while back a clip from Ukraine or Russia where the touch screen behind a news anchor gave continuously errors which she desperately tried to get rid of. In the end the whole thing came down to a BSoD with the error message and a text stating 'ReactOS'. It's kind of nice to see they implemented the most known feature of Windows, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    It might almost be useable on newer computers now, if you...have or don't need the right ethernet card
    I bet it comes with Token Ring drivers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    And next Year XP reaches the EOL.
    Yes, Windows XP is EOL on 8 april 2014.
    Windows XP sucks though, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is much better (some things suck in Windows 8 though), but the upcoming Windows 8.1 is looking promising.

I believe I saw an article somewhere on the ethernets in regards to ReactOS having a sort-of paid-for support division. It looked to be focused on the Russian regions, but if it picks up there, it could see more development and actually possibly become something of use. Supporting old apps etc.

And the last 12 months were about gutting and reimplementing some of the low-down internals as well if I was reading the previous update notes correct. So now maybe more external facing elements like drivers and software compatilibity can progress.

Again, think and though I saw.
    Last edited by stiiixy; 05-31-2013 at 07:20 AM.

For some people it will be very hard/expensive to move away from old windows versions, eg
    http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/04...ord-to-upgrade
    There are also plenty of people using odd peripherals from companies, that either no longer exist, or have no interest in rewriting drivers for old hardware (when they would rather you bought some new hardware).

In reality these folk will probably just keep using XP as long as they can. maybe they will disconnect the machines from the network to keep them safe (the older stuff may have never been network connected at all). but one day their harddrive will fail, and reinstalling XP will not be easy.

If reactos can work for them, it may be a very nice option. It will cover drivers, where wine can only cover applications.

Also I wonder if it would be useful for testing if my own software runs on windows. I guess if it does not, then its hard to know if its my fault or a limitation in reactos.

ReactOS is a really great project on paper that is sadly immensely understaffed and underfunded.

Reactos would be ideal for supporting legacy server apps that generally run on NT 4 or Win2K Server, which have been EOL'd by MS a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    You keep hallucinating. Is the linux world really like the Apple world? As in the users get brainwashed.
    ...what? Linux can run windows programs better than reactOS. It can run more windows programs than reactOS. It has more windows-like features than reactOS. Not sure how you think I'm hallucinating when the facts are right in front of us.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    ...what? Linux can run windows programs better than reactOS. It can run more windows programs than reactOS. It has more windows-like features than reactOS. Not sure how you think I'm hallucinating when the facts are right in front of us.
    If that's the point, Mac OS can run exactly the same Windows' programs.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Agreed, but on the other hand, what was the point of making it in the first place? Linux is better at being windows than ReactOS, in a compatibility and functionality point of view anyway.
    Ask a question to yourself - why would you build a Honda clone in your garage??
    Spoiler alert: In order to impress Honda engineers and get a job.

They build it to prove what they are capable of, in order for microsoft to hire them. Nothing else!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Reactos would be ideal for supporting legacy server apps that generally run on NT 4 or Win2K Server, which have been EOL'd by MS a long time ago.
    Thats a job of WINE.
    Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    I believe I saw an article somewhere on the ethernets in regards to ReactOS having a sort-of paid-for support division. It looked to be focused on the Russian regions, but if it picks up there, it could see more development and actually possibly become something of use. Supporting old apps etc.
    Incorrect, Russia has Ethersoft.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Yes, Windows XP is EOL on 8 april 2014.
    Windows XP sucks though, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is much better (some things suck in Windows 8 though), but the upcoming Windows 8.1 is looking promising.
    I see you still have place for being bullshitted. Well, happy burning!
    Last edited by brosis; 05-31-2013 at 07:03 PM.