Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Thats a job of WINE.
    To be fair, no current Linux distro has really emulated the Windows UI to the level of drop in replacement.
    The closest that comes to mind would be Linux Mint or Lindows, however the former still has some very noticeable differences that might confuse users if a drop in replacement occurred, and Lindows sadly isn't supported any more.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      To be fair, no current Linux distro has really emulated the Windows UI to the level of drop in replacement.
      The closest that comes to mind would be Linux Mint or Lindows, however the former still has some very noticeable differences that might confuse users if a drop in replacement occurred, and Lindows sadly isn't supported any more.
      You probably havent seen Zorin yet :P :

It looks almost like a skinned Windows Vista.

Comment

Incorrect, Russia has Ethersoft.
        eh? I said ethernet's as a play on internet's. It was meant to be etherwebs, but I typo'd =D
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated
          Why another OS-project when you have linux?
          Because that's what those people want to work on. They have different goals to Linux, goals that not even your low-jitter kernel can satisfy

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
            Or, to get similar or improved performance with similar features/interfaces and with a more efficient or better designed system...and while their at it, learn how to create a functioning and coherent OS. Of course it's not fully functioning or coherent yet; that's what makes it a good learning tool.

Yes, they could work on Linux (distributions), or some other commonly used OS's, but that wouldn't necessarily help them in learning all the things they might learn in developing ReactOS.

Mind naming some individuals who got a job at Microsoft as a result of working on ReactOS? I would be interested in such a list.
            Yes, it could be it, likewise one isn't not going to expect anything of quality in this case, and they are very dependent and vulnerable from ms, which is known to take very aggressive and shameless decisions.

Sadly, I can't name anyone, one is going to do own research; but likewise I am not limiting your view on subject to only my vision.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            Lindows was a money-ripoff joke, Linux Mint isn't going to "replace windows", they are up to producing comfortable desktop OS, so this is better.
            If one tries to strongly imitate UI (where no sense lies), he is going to be sued.. So, there is zero point.

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            eh? I said ethernet's as a play on internet's. It was meant to be etherwebs, but I typo'd =D
            No, Etersoft is company that sells wine business solutions and integrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              You probably havent seen Zorin yet :P :

It looks almost like a skinned Windows Vista.
              No, it looks exactly like skinned KDE.

Why another OS-project when you have linux? Some really hardcore nutters think Open BeOS is great, and I talked some of the people in these peoples forums aswell, and they seemed even crazier.

I remind everyone of my low-jitter kernel for Ubuntu again. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268
              Unforunately a lot of people don?t have the level to understand the benefits of low-jitter, but it makes Doom 3,(jitter sensitive game, 3 passes to opengl pr frame) run on 5 year old hardware, completely smooth, something that requires a modern E5 with low-jitter h/w WITH a tweaked windows XP, for the same. That is a 5 year advantage on linux. That is quite an amount in the computing world. And I doubt the MS philosophy that hinders progress will ever change.

And I doubt any other system will be considered any relevant competitor, as it is so advanced now.

The only think I?d personally want, is a more mainstream licence, that is without the obscurities of GPL. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=6198

Peace Be With You.
              Unfortunately same could be said about you, judged by your "fight" with ninez.

Also, its a lot of "religion" and "believe" in your claims, so its no wonder. A good benchmark empirically demonstrating advantages could be useful.

And finally your license is plain BSD + God reference. Until we (or you) create "Telephone to God", that part is highly subjective and irrelevant. BSD is very obscure when seen from GPL hill as well, but at least only GPL warrants true freedom for software.
              Last edited by brosis; 02 June 2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Why another OS-project when you have linux? Some really hardcore nutters think Open BeOS is great, and I talked some of the people in these peoples forums aswell, and they seemed even crazier.

I remind everyone of my low-jitter kernel for Ubuntu again. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268
                Unforunately a lot of people don?t have the level to understand the benefits of low-jitter, but it makes Doom 3,(jitter sensitive game, 3 passes to opengl pr frame) run on 5 year old hardware, completely smooth, something that requires a modern E5 with low-jitter h/w WITH a tweaked windows XP, for the same. That is a 5 year advantage on linux. That is quite an amount in the computing world. And I doubt the MS philosophy that hinders progress will ever change.

And I doubt any other system will be considered any relevant competitor, as it is so advanced now.

The only think I?d personally want, is a more mainstream licence, that is without the obscurities of GPL. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=6198

Peace Be With You.
                If I read you correctly, it makes a nine years old game run in five years old hardware. Not impressed.

Comment

Ad hominems is all you are capable of?

Comment

You know what I think of your replies? I think you are bunch of crazy nutters, who couldn?t tell an old 8086 from modern hardware. Go back to notepad. You have are not qualified to speak on anything I do.

You are some of the dumbest forum-monkeys I have ever seen. There is plenty of people like you who hang around places like this, and make inane comments. Obviously crazy, obviously ignorant. That is the only impression you are making to sane people. Now go and hide away on your gay club, obviously that is what you need to do, when you go out somewhere.
                    Why that agresivity? I only said I'm not impressed with the example given. Didn't say anything else. I'd understand if you said something else about why is low jitter and stuff, but you only said yours is better because 'example'. Well, example sounds pretty much what anyone would expect, which is a game running smoothly in hardware newer than the game. If you can mention anything that technically makes it better, I'd probably understand that, and I may be impressed by that.

Also, about crazy nutters, your reply is more like that. I read it and I imagine Frank Costanza fliping tables and screaming.

And for the one that told ReactOS tries to solve something none low jitter Linux will solve, is true. It's apples and oranges there, ReactOS is not about performance or jitter, is about compatibility with Windows (full compatibility is aimed, while WINE only provides user land level compatibility), so the problem it tries to solve (running Windows' software without porting it) is not solved by ANY LINUX.
                    Last edited by mrugiero; 02 June 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Yes, it could be it, likewise one isn't not going to expect anything of quality in this case, and they are very dependent and vulnerable from ms, which is known to take very aggressive and shameless decisions.

Sadly, I can't name anyone, one is going to do own research; but likewise I am not limiting your view on subject to only my vision.
                      I don't see how they're dependent or vulnerable; if it's copyright, I don't think there's a problem. They aren't copying any of MS's resources (theme files, dlls, etc.) and using them in their project. That leaves TradeMark and Patent; they aren't using any of Microsoft's TMs (or even anything that resembles them), as far as I've seen, so that's no problem. If it's patents, they're just as vulnerable as Linux or OS X in that regard. I doubt MS will sue them because they have icons on a desktop, or because they use a certain mechanism to communicate between processes and services. If they do, then the ReactOS devs can just change that mechanism so that it no longer infringes on their patent.

So, what are they so vulnerable from again? I haven't even heard MS mention ReactOS in a long time (if at all, my memory fails me).

As far as whether anyone and who was hired at Microsoft, your word is as good as mine until either of us gets some evidence. I'm not going to argue the point.

Edit: Paradox Uncreated, maybe you should go to [H]ardForum, where they care (maybe a little too much) about performance, and see if their reaction is any different. Call it a social studies experiment, if you will; the results may surprise you.
                      Last edited by Nobu; 02 June 2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X