No announcement yet.

Nepomuk To See Speed Improvements In KDE 4.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of a handful of things I disable just after a KDE install; along with kwallet, activities, active screen edge actions, bluetooth support and desktop effects. I rarely do file searches, as I generally keep things fairly well organized, so it just seems like a waste of resources to me. KDE is a bit of a bloated whale, but with a bit of configuration it ends up being one of the more pleasant DEs at the moment so I put up with it.

I'm a bit tempted to have another go at Enlightenment; I didn't much care for it last time I tried it, but it has been a few years now and it would be worth finding another desktop to fall back to just in case KDE screws up with the move to 5 as bad as they did with 4. It wasn't until about 4.7 or 4.9 that I was able to feel comfortable with using KDE on a regular basis. I went with XFCE for a while there after Gnome fell into the abyss with their version 3 overhaul, but XFCE always felt like it was missing things. It just wasn't customizable enough, but otherwise it was an ok DE.
    Last edited by IanS; 29 May 2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
      This is one of a handful of things I disable just after a KDE install; along with kwallet, activities, active screen edge actions, bluetooth support and desktop effects. I rarely do file searches, as I generally keep things fairly well organized, so it just seems like a waste of resources to me. KDE is a bit of a bloated whale, but with a bit of configuration it ends up being one of the more pleasant DEs at the moment so I put up with it.
      I used to disable Nepomuk, but since KDE SC 4.10, it's really not that bad any more, so I no longer do that. Otherwise, I only disable screen edges (no idea why you'd want your screen to explode whenever your mouse accidentally hits the top right of the screen...) and bluetooth. Couldn't live without KWallet ? for a few years now I have been using unique generated passwords for all the websites I register on and such, so that the password is always secure and even if one is discovered, nobody could use it on other websites.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        I used to disable Nepomuk, but since KDE SC 4.10, it's really not that bad any more, so I no longer do that. Otherwise, I only disable screen edges (no idea why you'd want your screen to explode whenever your mouse accidentally hits the top right of the screen...) and bluetooth. Couldn't live without KWallet ? for a few years now I have been using unique generated passwords for all the websites I register on and such, so that the password is always secure and even if one is discovered, nobody could use it on other websites.

What do you use to generate them / remember them?
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I use ascreen edge to replace the show desktop widget (the right on the top of my screen).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Not the same guy, but I use passwordmaker (.org). There appear to be several different tools, with varying levels of plugin support in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. If it works, you just hit Alt+` or so to fill the password field. One tip though: once you've generated 100+ passwords you won't want to change your settings/master password (if you regenerate instead of looking up).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              I use the terminal program pwgen (with -sy arguments). It should probably be in most distribution repositories. And then use a Firefox KWallet plugin, as well as a Pidgin KWallet plugin, to remember the passwords.

Comment

... Couldn't live without KWallet ? for a few years now I have been using unique generated passwords for all the websites I register on and such, so that the password is always secure and even if one is discovered, nobody could use it on other websites.
                Ya, I can see how it can be useful. My main problems with that type of program in general is that centralizing passwords introduces a number of potential problems of their own. First you have to always hope that the program you use is stable and bug-free both now and after each and every future update. If something goes wrong and your password list gets hosed or an update breaks things for a few days you are stuck without easy access to anything and everything you rely on that program for. Second problem is that a lot of people don't back anything up, what happens when your hdd eventually takes a dive and you lose access to your passwords or say you do do backups but only on-site backups and you have a fire or burglary or other tragedy that separates you from your computer and backups? In either case you are stuck going to each and every site and requesting password changes. Now say someone does steal it and they find some way to get your master password, they now have access to just about everything. Of course all of these are extreme cases and mostly unlikely, but it still leaves me uneasy about relying on a potential single point of failure for my password security.

I tend to have a dozen or so unique passwords at any one time, and some of the important ones like for system log ins I throw away and replace from time to time. Important stuff like root and user logins, websites with financial data, email/chat, Steam and even a couple games all get unique passwords, then I have a pool of several passwords I reuse for all the rest of the stuff I just don't care about. I have about 3 different logical password generation strategies I have come up with on my own that I use to make remembering unique passwords fairly trivial. It would be nice to be able to rely on some easier less hands on method for dealing with personal identifiers, but all the ones I have seen so far come with their own risks that leave them undesirable to me. I could see a potential use for all the less important stuff, but I would still want to manually enter my own custom passwords for the more vital use cases. That is a route I'll have to investigate, it could be a decent compromise.

Comment

KWallet allows exporting passwords to XML. I regularly do that, encrypt the XML using OpenSSL, then put it on the cloud so that I could access the passwords (albeit a lot less conveniently) on PCs other than the one at home.

And as for the master password, it's super long and complex, of course. I have it memorised mostly by motor memory. And it's also unique, of course.

Comment

KWallet allows exporting passwords to XML. I regularly do that, encrypt the XML using OpenSSL, then put it on the cloud so that I could access the passwords (albeit a lot less conveniently) on PCs other than the one at home.

And as for the master password, it's super long and complex, of course. I have it memorised mostly by motor memory. And it's also unique, of course.
                    interesting. So there is no way to have it synced with android or something?

Randomizing passwords and only having to remember a strong master one seems like a good idea. But I would prefer just to have it on my desktop and mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                      interesting. So there is no way to have it synced with android or something?

Randomizing passwords and only having to remember a strong master one seems like a good idea. But I would prefer just to have it on my desktop and mobile.
                      No idea, I don't use Android. That said, there are many password-keeping cloud services. But in that case you need to trust the cloud provider not to steal all your passwords and keep them secure.

Comment

Working...
                      X