Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xine Now Supports VA-API, GL 2.0 Output, EAC3

Phoronix: Xine Now Supports VA-API, GL 2.0 Output, EAC3

A new version of xine-lib was released today, which is the library that powers the Xine multimedia playback engine. The xine-lib 1.2.3 release brings numerous features including VA-API hardware video decoding and support for OpenGL 2.0 output...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, so does that mean AC3 5.1 surround will work in Kaffeine now? That's the 1 and only thing that's keeping me from switching away from VLC.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Nice, so does that mean AC3 5.1 surround will work in Kaffeine now? That's the 1 and only thing that's keeping me from switching away from VLC.
      Should have worked for a while. Are you talking "old kaffeine" or the new version that utilizes phonon's setup?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Should have worked for a while. Are you talking "old kaffeine" or the new version that utilizes phonon's setup?
        I think Kaffeine switched back to depend directly on Xine three and a half years ago during 1.0-pre3.

Comment

The new one, as far as I'm aware (I'm using Arch). Right now I'm using the VLC backend for phonon, since the xine backend doesn't seem to have proper surround or SPDIF support. I have the Realtek 889A driver.

Comment

The latest version of Kaffeine is 1.2.2. It is from april 2011 and still depends on xinelib 1.1. That's why I have to use Xine-UI on current Ubutnu to watch VDR (DVB-S). Very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              The new one, as far as I'm aware (I'm using Arch). Right now I'm using the VLC backend for phonon, since the xine backend doesn't seem to have proper surround or SPDIF support. I have the Realtek 889A driver.
              Well that would be more of an issue with the Xine phonon plugin (which does not expose all of the xine engines capabilities) and not Xine itself which has been able to handle surround and spdif just fine for ages. To get passthrough to work with the xine back end you have to manually edit the config file .config/kde-org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf and add audio.output.speaker_arrangement:PassThrough.
              Last edited by deanjo; 29 May 2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Well that would be more of an issue with the Xine phonon plugin (which does not expose all of the xine engines capabilities) and not Xine itself which has been able to handle surround and spdif just fine for ages.
                I figured, but if I'm using the VLC backend now then why does it still not work? Also, my .asoundrc says to use SPDIF.

Comment

Well that would be more of an issue with the Xine phonon plugin (which does not expose all of the xine engines capabilities) and not Xine itself which has been able to handle surround and spdif just fine for ages.
                  Afaik phonon-xine has been deprecated(2011) for ages now, it will not even work with newer phonon at all.

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
                  The latest version of Kaffeine is 1.2.2. It is from april 2011 and still depends on xinelib 1.1. That's why I have to use Xine-UI on current Ubutnu to watch VDR (DVB-S). Very sad.
                  Krhm that's ubuntu's fault. Kaffeine 1.2.2 can be compiled againts xine-lib 1.2, and it will work just fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                    Afaik phonon-xine has been deprecated(2011) for ages now, it will not even work with newer phonon at all.

Krhm that's ubuntu's fault. Kaffeine 1.2.2 can be compiled againts xine-lib 1.2, and it will work just fine with it.
                    Hmm, good to know. Thanks for the info. Hopefully if Arch updated xine-lib today, I can try Kaffeine again and see if it surround works; not going to keep my hopes up though.

Comment

Working...
                    X