Windows 8 Hardware Has Another Problem For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Hardly anyone installs Linux from a USB thumb drive anyway so it's not really a problem except on Ultrabooks/Ultra portables, which don't have optical drives to begin with, and those aren't very popular amongst Linux users as it is.
    Uhh...Last time I used an optical drive for a linux install was I think sometime before 2005. The only optical drives I even own at work is a usb one sitting in a filing cabinet. I think I last used it to rip an audio cd-rom in the middle of last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
      Uhh...Last time I used an optical drive for a linux install was I think sometime before 2005. The only optical drives I even own at work is a usb one sitting in a filing cabinet. I think I last used it to rip an audio cd-rom in the middle of last year.
      The last time I installed linux from a CD was a couple of months ago. I have a USB CD drive and I've had trouble with some USB sticks disrupting my boot process (i.e. one stick would prevent my laptop booting if it was left in the socket, even if it had a lower boot priority than everything else).

One USB stick I owned was also incredibly slow to write images to (no idea why; it seemed to write files at a sensible speed when formatted in Windows), so CDs were faster.

I'm not intending to cast any doubt on your experience, merely to provide a counterpoint. I don't think optical media are dead, but I do think they are declining.

Comment

• Originally posted by archibald View Post
        The last time I installed linux from a CD was a couple of months ago.
        Last time I installed Linux from a DVD was Monday. Last time before that was the seven servers I reinstalled about three weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
        X