AMD Catalyst 13.6 Linux Graphics Driver Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tearing?

Can any one confirm that this driver decreases (or completely removes) tearing with Compiz/Unity?
    I just want to know this before I will re-install my OS.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
      Can any one confirm that this driver decreases (or completely removes) tearing with Compiz/Unity?
      I just want to know this before I will re-install my OS.
      No but I can confirm that using this driver will increase your Kernel panics by atleast 100%. It did fix some vsync issues for me. But its not worth the constant crashes.

Comment

Given the significantly variable reports of Catalyst's stability and that reinstalling your OS is something you're willing to do, why not try it out?

Comment

We test this driver version since release date on several 100 OpenELEC machines.
          And for now - the users are really happy.

Focus we have here: xvba video acceleration, suspend / resume, Audio after suspend / resume

Features missing: mpeg2/mpeg4 hw decoding via xvba-sdk and _Bitstream Audio support_ - but this is a long term problem not related to this very good driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
            Unfortunately this does not work - at least in my case. This is obviously a mistake OpenGL driver - who appeared in the driver version 13.3 beta 2 - and then fixed in 13.3 beat3 and again has been "intensified" in 13.4 and 13.6 beta
            I added these in /etc/default/grub, then ran update-grub (my monitor has 1280x1024 resolution).

Code:
            GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024x24,1280x1024

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x24
            Works both with 13.4 and 13.6 and the 3.8 and 3.9 kernels. The VTs have 1280x1024 resolution too.

PS:
            The vga=code options are deprecated, although it worked too after getting a message from the kernel (i actually set 1280x1024 , dont remember the actual vga code).

I have a A8-5500 APU and it was stable with any driver since 13.2 so maybe the 7xxx IGP series are better supported?

Comment

Originally posted by shazeal View Post
              No but I can confirm that using this driver will increase your Kernel panics by atleast 100%. It did fix some vsync issues for me. But its not worth the constant crashes.
              I have it installed on Mint 15 Cinnamon for 2 weeks, and i had'nt kernel panics or any other stability problems at all.

Comment

Any of you people having the input lag problem - please try my hacked-up LD_PRELOAD lib that forces glXSwapBuffers to by synchronous: https://github.com/volca02/glsync

Comment

Working...
                X