AMD Catalyst 13.6 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Just FYI you can run FGLRX and the radeon driver in tandem, at least with Gentoo, and I presume on other distributions as well. I don't run with the battery very much but if I absolutely need to I can boot up with FGLRX enabled.
    I hope you realize that GCN hardware and open source radeon drivers DO NOT WORK unless you enjoy getting a seizure and/or migraine from black boxes flickering all over the screen.

Comment

Look, some people need the ability, and the will, to run experimental drivers, especially if it is as cheap as a reboot. Open-Source software needs its testers.

Also, note, that even the "wonderful" nvidia drivers have the following symptoms: tearing, atrocious crash-happy display hot-plugging, if flash crashes whilst playing a video it brings down X due to vdpau. (these was the symptoms of my previous notebook).
      Compared to this, stuttering and tearing is quite pleasant.
      The reason I joined this topic, is to state my findings on a work-around for KDE & Source users, and later on to state some sample tuning parameters to reduce the effect of the ondemand governor reducing usability. That latter one, I think is applicable to every Linux system, and could maybe help performance of Mesa drivers too? (referring to the ondemand governor significantly reducing performance in Mesa)

If you want it all, I think you need to use the Intel drivers. Unfortunately the only intel card I have is an old netbook, but it works pretty great there.
      Last edited by grigi; 05 June 2013, 09:16 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        I hope you realize that GCN hardware and open source radeon drivers DO NOT WORK unless you enjoy getting a seizure and/or migraine from black boxes flickering all over the screen.
        Fair enough, I had not seen the GCN shorthand before so didn't realise it was radeonsi hardware.

Comment

Wine performance

Originally posted by shazeal View Post
          On my 7850 with 3.9.4 kernel performance all round is greatly improved.

In cgminer I am getting about 15Mh/s more with identical settings as per 13.4 drivers.
          In World of Warcraft under wine there as about 10-20fps more on average.
          Native games already ran fine before so i am not noticing a difference.

Tearing I was seeing in VLC/Youtube seems to be gone.
          Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you noticed improvement in other gaming titles generally under wine with this new driver? I am unable to test at the moment, but will try and test with Skyrim (my bugbear and the only thing keeping a copy of Windows around). Thanks.

Regards,
          Phil Potter

Comment

Using HD 6870 & E-350: went back to Catalyst 13.4 for now because 13.6 Beta crashes way too often (Steam, Google Chrome GPU acceleration, X-Video, ...). Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.

Comment

GLX_EXT_buffer_age support.....

wasnt that the extension wayland needed? i guess they'll be supporting wayland then...

Comment

Originally posted by ashkbajw View Post
                GLX_EXT_buffer_age support.....

wasnt that the extension wayland needed? i guess they'll be supporting wayland then...
                No. Anything with GLX to start with is about X, not Wayland, which uses EGL.

This is the same extension that NVidia added a couple months ago, and is in Mesa 9.2git/10.0-pre. It will help reduce tearing and improve performance of X compositors (KWin/Compiz/etc.)

Comment

anyone got that driver working with kernel 3.10?
                  exit status 1 at compiling dkms module
                  Last edited by mer.at; 03 July 2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

final, when?

So, June is over... where is the final release Cat 13.6?

Anybody knows, when it's coming?

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                      So, June is over... where is the final release Cat 13.6?

Anybody knows, when it's coming?
                      Next final release will be Catalyst 13.7, coming on July the 31th.

Comment

Working...
                      X