Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble Indie Bundle 8 Launches With Many Titles

Phoronix: Humble Indie Bundle 8 Launches With Many Titles

It's already time for another Humble Indie Bundle to get your hands on more multi-platform DRM-free games at whatever price you want. All of the games this time around are compatible with Linux via native clients except for a CrossOver/Wine-based copy of Dear Esther...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just picked up HIB8. Would have been nice to have a native Dear Esther port; however, the HiB claim a native port (based upon Linux Source Engine) will be coming. In the meantime, I'll deal with the codeweavers wine.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
      Just picked up HIB8. Would have been nice to have a native Dear Esther port; however, the HiB claim a native port (based upon Linux Source Engine) will be coming. In the meantime, I'll deal with the codeweavers wine.
      If I buy the HIB8, will I get the native linux port of Dear Esther for free? It doesn't seem to mee that this post answers my question explicitly http://support.humblebundle.com/cust...r-linux-issues
      Last edited by Bucic; 28 May 2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
        If I buy the HIB8, will I get the native linux port of Dear Esther for free? It doesn't seem to mee that this post answers my question explicitly http://support.humblebundle.com/cust...r-linux-issues
        Given that Humble Bundle commissioned Ryan Gordan to do the native Source port of Dear Esther, I think the answer is, most likely, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          From the page you linked:
          The native port is planned to come soon to Humble Indie Bundle 8 customers (without an ETA) and also, expect a few last minute fixes to CodeWeavers? version soon.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
            From the page you linked:
            Yeah, I saw that. Still, wouldn't take it for granted it it was a mortgage

Comment

Besides Proteus, Dear Esther looks like the least interesting game in the bundle, so I don't care too much that it isn't fully native as I probably won't waste my time on it any time soon anyway. When I read about Little Inferno finally being released for Linux I was certain a new bundle with it would be right around the corner and here it is. I've been looking forward to trying that one out since Yogscast did some vids on it like 6 months ago.

I was a bit surprised that Awesomenauts got a port, not sure it is really my sort of game but I am looking forward to at least trying it out with some friends for a bit. I've been hearing about a port of Hotline Miami coming to Linux for months now and was glad to see it in the mix, as it reminds me a little bit of the classic top-down GTA games that I had a lot of fun with ages ago.

Capsized and Thomas Was Alone are both new to me and each look like fun platformers that will be worth a try.

On a potentially related note, Legend of Grimrock showed up in my Steam library a few hours ago and it is installable and playable. My bet is on it being a second week bonus for this bundle. A few others that have recently shown up in my library with past HIB ties are Lugaru HD and the first Shank, so those could potentially be on the table as bonus games as well.

With Shank though it would be cool if they did a Klei weekly bundle, a port of Mark of the Ninja would be appreciated as that game looks pretty great. I think Klei has about 5 games out now which would be a good sized weekly bundle. Though that may be wishful thinking, MotN is being published by Microsoft, so little chance of them letting that out onto other systems, even though I think the game is using the same engine as Shank 2 which has been on Linux for a while now.

Comment

I posted my experience with this bundle in the arch forums:

To sum it up, the only real game that worked is Thomas was alone.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                  I posted my experience with this bundle in the arch forums:

To sum it up, the only real game that worked is Thomas was alone.
                  With at least Proteus and Capsized, the installer is MojoSetup. This pretty much means that you can just unzip <installer> 'data/*'.

Or, you could just use the damn installer and make it shove its stuff in, say, ~/games/. It's pretty good at it.

Edit: Also, who on Earth ever tries ar x'ing stuff on non-Debian distros when there are more suitable things available...

Comment

From that link there is this quote

This made it possible for us to commission Ryan Gordon to create a fully-native version of Dear Esther, as well.
                    Icculus continues to work on linux gaming, that's super awesome. :applause:

What's personally awesome for me personally personally is that Humble Bundle inc. is accepting BTC for da bundles, YAY :applause: Bitcoin :crowdcheering: :applause:
                    Last edited by powdigsig; 29 May 2013, 06:01 AM. Reason: Bitcointhunder

Comment

Working...
                    X