Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Improves Its Performance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Improves Its Performance

The Debian-based "Raspbian" Linux distribution for the Rasperry Pi ARM development board is now a heck of a lot faster thanks to recent software improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by FTFA View Post
    Raspbian is the Debian Linux distribution optimized for the ARMv7 Raspberry Pihttp://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3OTc
    The Raspi is ARMv6.

Comment

Game console effect?

Maybe with the RaspberryPi we will witness the game console effect? When every device is (almost) exactly the same as every other a lot of optimizations can be done for that particular device.

Comment

As Kamikaze said, Raspberry Pi is ARMv6. Debian has two arm versions... one with ISA v4 and software float, and another that is ISA v7 with hardware float. So Raspberry Pi has to run a more obsolete isa and with softfp when using normal debian. Raspbian is mainly a debian compiled with ISA v6 and hardware floating point... those are mainly the reasons of the performance incrase.

Comment

Originally posted by elmo23x View Post
          As Kamikaze said, Raspberry Pi is ARMv6. Debian has two arm versions... one with ISA v4 and software float, and another that is ISA v7 with hardware float. So Raspberry Pi has to run a more obsolete isa and with softfp when using normal debian. Raspbian is mainly a debian compiled with ISA v6 and hardware floating point... those are mainly the reasons of the performance incrase.
          Actually debian has 3 ARM versions - arm, armhf, and armel. RPi I believe is armel, and most other boards are armhf.

@kobblestown
          I wouldn't keep hopes up for that. Most of the performance in this new kernel affects newer ARM platforms as well; if anything, ARMv7 has a more drastic performance boost. Anyways, there's a reason why devs don't micro-optimize their software for a single platform. Even though Pi might be the most popular ARMv6 device out there, optimizations for it COULD negatively affect other platforms, even non-ARM platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Actually debian has 3 ARM versions - arm, armhf, and armel. RPi I believe is armel, and most other boards are armhf.
            Raspbian is a custom armhf variant, actually. Debian's armhf targets ARMv7, Raspbian targets ARMv6.

I don't think there are further performance improvements forthcoming, though. What can be done has be done by now. Raspbian even includes various custom assembler micro optimizations for libc.

Comment

BTW, as nobody else seems to have noticed:

There are some important facts wrongly presented in this benchmark. It is not comparing old Raspbian vs. a new Raspbian, but a very early Debian 6 image for the Pi against the optimized, custom Raspbian variant based on Debian 7. Raspbian ALWAYS was a custom Debian variant tailored for ARMv6, with hard-float support, and based on Debian 7. The article makes it sound like improvements to Debian make Raspbian perform better, but that is not the case.

Also, people have done MUCH better Raspbian benchmarks. Here:

Comment

Several interesting Raspberry Pi articles in the last few days...

BTW. Raspbian is a custom armhf debian image.. compiled specifically for the ARMv6 core in the Pi. The Pi has a powerful GPU/DSP that largely goes unused, but that may be changing now with the recent news about Wayland.

Comment

I got similar results on Raspbian as in that published benchmark. My results: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FO-1305102FO57 - with Cubieboard and Odroid-X2.

Comment

Working...
                  X