Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight-Way BSD & Linux OS Comparison

Phoronix: Eight-Way BSD & Linux OS Comparison

Being benchmarked today at Phoronix is a comparison of eight different BSD and Linux operating systems. The contenders for this performance roundabout include PC-BSD 9.1, DragonFlyBSD 3.4.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint 15 RC, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 18, Mageia 3, and openSUSE 12.3. Which of these operating systems are the fastest and slowest for a variety of different workloads? Read on to find out.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are you still using Nexuiz? It's an obsolete version of the same engine as Xonotic, and is consistently outperformed by Xonotic. Not very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      So Ubuntu is pretty much at the top (along with Mint). It's gonna be fun to see the Canonical haters spew some more horseshit about how shitty Ubuntu is.
      Isn't it about time for you to get banned for being a stupid motherfucker?
      Seems to me that compared to other similar AGED distros, it won some, and lost some. Overall, about the same. THAT IS PERFORMANCE ONLY, which is far from the only consideration when selecting a distro. You know that some people choose their distribution philosophically, don't you? Their (canonical's) lack of upstream contribution is a great reason to avoid them. Also their crappy UI, and other attempts to break compatibility with GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
        Why are you still using Nexuiz? It's an obsolete version of the same engine as Xonotic, and is consistently outperformed by Xonotic. Not very interesting.
        News flash: Benchmarks are NOT INTERESTING. PERIOD.

Comment

This benchmark was quite interesting to me. Particularly the anomalous Mageia position. Why would setting the scheduler to performance lower the performance, as opposed to ondemand? That doesn't make much sense to me...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            So Ubuntu is pretty much at the top (along with Mint). It's gonna be fun to see the Canonical haters spew some more horseshit about how shitty Ubuntu is.
            It finished basically identically to all the other linux distros - which makes sense, because they're all using the same software under the hood.

Anyway, i thought you were trolling for MS now? Weren't you just going on about how much linux sucked? Now you're back to being pro-Ubuntu again, i guess?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

Being benchmarked today at Phoronix is a comparison of eight different BSD and Linux operating systems. The contenders for this performance roundabout include PC-BSD 9.1, DragonFlyBSD 3.4.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint 15 RC, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 18, Mageia 3, and openSUSE 12.3. Which of these operating systems are the fastest and slowest for a variety of different workloads? Read on to find out.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18742
              How unfortunate that centos was not included in the apache benchmark, seeing as how centos is an extremely popular web platform on the internet. Was centos excluded so that BSD could secure a win in this category?

Comment

CentOS fastest on Nexuiz

Was surprised to see CentOS be fastest on Nexuiz, considering it focus on server and stability.

Too bad DragonFly BSD was missing from many tests...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

[...]The contenders for this performance roundabout include PC-BSD 9.1, DragonFlyBSD 3.4.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint 15 RC, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 18, Mageia 3, and openSUSE 12.3. [...]
                  @Michael: Instead of testing both Ubuntu and Linux Mint - which are practically identical library-wise, I'd have rather seen results for Debian. I'd be interesting whether the good overall performance comes from the mother distribution, or is home made.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    @Michael: Instead of testing both Ubuntu and Linux Mint - which are practically identical library-wise, I'd have rather seen results for Debian. I'd be interesting whether the good overall performance comes from the mother distribution, or is home made.
                    +1

For a reasonable comparison, Debian testing could be used, wich is the recommended for desktop/non-critical use.

Debian loves you, why don't love Debian Michael? XD
                    Last edited by malkavian; 27 May 2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X