Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sega To Release Football Manager 14 For Linux

Phoronix: Sega To Release Football Manager 14 For Linux

As pointed out in our forums, Football Manager 2014 will see a native Linux client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sega games on Linux?
    Cool, more big publishers/developers.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Sega games on Linux?
      Cool, more big publishers/developers.
      We have a saying were I am from: Don't sell the skin, before you have shot the bear.

So far we are only talking one game, lets wait and see.

Comment

Sega is surprising. Football is even more surprising. I do wonder how they figured there is a market for this but I'm certainly not complaining. I have played the odd game in the past but I'm not a big football fan so I give the managerial ones a miss.

Comment

I'm going to get it, these games have always seemed interesting to me, but I've never played them. Now I have an excuse to drop the money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            We have a saying were I am from: Don't sell the skin, before you have shot the bear.

So far we are only talking one game, lets wait and see.
            That "one game" is regularly one of the best selling PC games in Europe.

Comment

I hope they'll offer DRM free version for sale.

Comment

I don't usually play games like this... but if it hits Linux I definitely will!

Comment

Well technically it's not a SEGA game. It's developed by Sports Interactive and they have had a mac client for a very long time. Although i suppose if the linux numbers are good enough SEGA might be persuaded to port other games. Don't expect a DRM free version though. Not going to happen. They've been using Steamworks for the last 2 releases and i don't see that changing any time soon

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    That "one game" is regularly one of the best selling PC games in Europe.
                    Doesn't mean it will be sucessfull on Linux. There are a lot of factors in play. Including how well done the port will be, how much of a market there is for football games on Linux compared to other games, etc.

Also even if it is a success how willing will other parts of Sega be to follow on? We have no idea who took this decision and how such decisions are taken at Sega.

Maybe they will do a bad, buggy, underperforming port and it will tank and guarantee we will never see a Sega game on Linux ever again.

Maybe the port will be fine but they conclude the market was too small and it wasn't worth it as a business decision with the exact same end result.

Lots of potential scenarios. Good and bad. Too early to get too excited. But is is certainly a good development.

Edit:

Raven3x7, Sports Interactive is a wholly owned Sega subsidiary.

Comment

Working...
                    X