Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler Master Cosmos S

Phoronix: Cooler Master Cosmos S

Back in August we looked at the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000, which was a very well designed EATX chassis that ultimately received our Editor's Choice Award for its excellent build quality, stylish design, and its feature-set. Just a few days ago, however, Cooler Master had unleashed the Cosmos S chassis. The Cosmos S RC-1100 is based upon the Cosmos design, but features a new racing theme, touch-sensitive panel, and various other improvements. The RC-1100 is meant to be the "Sports" version of the Cosmos 1000. In this review, we're looking at the Cooler Master Cosmos S as we load it up with an Intel 5400 EATX server motherboard and other high-end server hardware to see how this case really performs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Test PSU Choice

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Cooler Master Cosmos S

Back in August we looked at the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000, which was a very well designed EATX chassis that ultimately received our Editor's Choice Award for its excellent build quality, stylish design, and its feature-set. Just a few days ago, however, Cooler Master had unleashed the Cosmos S chassis. The Cosmos S RC-1100 is based upon the Cosmos design, but features a new racing theme, touch-sensitive panel, and various other improvements. The RC-1100 is meant to be the "Sports" version of the Cosmos 1000. In this review, we're looking at the Cooler Master Cosmos S as we load it up with an Intel 5400 EATX server motherboard and other high-end server hardware to see how this case really performs.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11921
    Hi,

I noticed that you used a 1,000 watt psu for your dual quad core test build. Was this choice primarily due to Tyan recommending this psu or did you expect your configuration to require that much power? I'm curious because I have a similar board (the i5400pw) and prospective build (the only difference is I will be using a little more RAM; most likely closer to 32gb)and want to make sure I will be properly powering it. I won't be doing any hardcore gaming or anything video intensive but I will be utilizing the cpus for memory heavy calculations that will be running 24/7 for extended periods of time. I suppose the only reason I am even considering the issue is the potential extra heat/cooling issues that might come along with a very large psu.

Comment

Originally posted by again View Post
      Hi,

I noticed that you used a 1,000 watt psu for your dual quad core test build. Was this choice primarily due to Tyan recommending this psu or did you expect your configuration to require that much power? I'm curious because I have a similar board (the i5400pw) and prospective build (the only difference is I will be using a little more RAM; most likely closer to 32gb)and want to make sure I will be properly powering it. I won't be doing any hardcore gaming or anything video intensive but I will be utilizing the cpus for memory heavy calculations that will be running 24/7 for extended periods of time. I suppose the only reason I am even considering the issue is the potential extra heat/cooling issues that might come along with a very large psu.
      The 1000 Watt PSU was used simply because that's what was laying around... You should be fine going with a 750~800W PSU.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi guys,

sorry for cross-posting however I started a thread in the h/w -> general section with some questions regarding the Cosmos S but never got any responses.....

Probably because this thread already existed and I didn't find it!

Anyhow, I was just asking what type of server system boards would fit in the case as I want to go for a dual CPU one but not quite sure on what to get?? Was thinking of Intel 5xxx series....

The thing that puzzles me is that Cooler Master said that the DP boards won't work with this case as there are no standoffs for the CPU's??

Also not sure what the max number of 3 in 4 cradles are supported, I am guessing the system would be able to easily take 8 drives of 2TB each giving 16TB of storage space?

Anyway if anyone can give me any help or advice I'd really appreciate as I'm quite lost without!

Many thanks

Comment

JohnnySSH, you can always drill and tap standoff holes. A tap and drill bit is roughly $10, so it's not even very expensive. The only real problem that prohibits a motherboard from fitting in a case is the case is clearance issues. You shouldn't have any of those in the Cosmos S unless you're using something bigger than EATX, such as a quad-socket motherboard.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply and apologies for the extremely late response but things are really insane at work right now with a data center upgrade that I'm at the heart of!!

Anyhow, so according to what you're saying a dual socket system board should be fine in the chassis :-)

That's great....

Will I need to drill holes and put in standoffs though??

Otherwise I think I'm all set.

Only which motherboard is good and which CPU?? Where is a good place to find that out? For server equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnySSH View Post
              Many thanks for the reply and apologies for the extremely late response but things are really insane at work right now with a data center upgrade that I'm at the heart of!!

Anyhow, so according to what you're saying a dual socket system board should be fine in the chassis :-)
              Yes, it should fit.

That's great....

Will I need to drill holes and put in standoffs though??

Otherwise I think I'm all set.
              You might have to drill holes and put in standoffs depending on the motherboard and heatsinks you decide to use. That is why some cases say they are not compatible with certain EATX boards, not that they won't physically fit.

Only which motherboard is good and which CPU?? Where is a good place to find that out? For server equipment.
              I'd give the guys over at the 2CPU.com forums a shout for that. Personally, I'd go for a pair of Opteron 6100 series CPUs on a TYAN S8230 for a dual-CPU setup, but some might prefer some of the new Xeon 5600s on other motherboards.

Comment

Thanks a bunch!!!

Actually we've just bought a new Dual Intel 6 Core Xeon X5650 at work which we're using to run VM's for Windows on. It seems to be pretty cool so far; and that's exactly what I need my new system to do...

Run Sun xVM using FreeBSD as a VM so that I get the best of both Solaris and BSD as both file server and infrastructure server but also as a virtualization platform.

Not sure about the 'best' CPU, AMD or Intel but have more or less always run Intels with 2 AMD based notebooks which overheated all the time.

Ok no basis for comparison but still.....

Anyhow will check out the forum you mentioned and see what those guys say!!

Thanks again :-)

Comment

Working...
                X