Steam: No used games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam: No used games...

Just wanted to let you know of this, because it really makes me worried. I bought a game from a co-worker, HL2, because he had it twice (because of some orange box thingy or something). I am not allowed to play this game according to Valve, I contacted support, here is the answer from them:

Message by Support Tech Jimmy on Thu, 23rd May 2013 8:10 am

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

The CD Key you have provided has been previously registered to and played by another Steam account.

Unfortunately, used CD Keys cannot be activated via Steam. This includes used CD Keys received as gifts, resold by an individual or purchased from a store selling used goods.

The game can only be played using the account on which it was registered.

If you have recently purchased this product, please contact the seller to discuss a refund or exchange.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

I thought they were different Let this be a warning for you if you plan to buy some used games.

At least in Europe this is not legal: http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...al_even_online
    Valve is currently sued by the German VZVB over this issue: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/game...ame-ownership/

Comment

Hm sounds like good news, I am from Austria. I think I will contact Valve support again.

Comment

they don't care...

Your colleague appears to have this registered to his account. Once installed, a Steam game cannot be removed from an account or registered to a new account.

Please contact your colleague to discuss a refund or exchange.
        I wonder if there is a special european steam support.

Comment

Steam summer sale is coming up. Valve usually sells their games for literally 2? or so.

Comment

Originally posted by steffmeister View Post
            Just wanted to let you know of this, because it really makes me worried. I bought a game from a co-worker, HL2, because he had it twice (because of some orange box thingy or something). I am not allowed to play this game according to Valve, I contacted support, here is the answer from them:

I thought they were different Let this be a warning for you if you plan to buy some used games.
            I hear that the newer xbox and playstation will start doing the same thing with either games tied to an online account or some other activation form where you will need to re purchase some key for games swapped or found at the second hand shop.

How much did you pay your co worker? A new copy of HL2 is $9.99 even lower during sales or get your own orange box for $19.99 making each game only $4.

Comment

A good reason to play only free games-but software freedom is bigger than games

Originally posted by steffmeister View Post

Despite this report that again confirms my personal choice to play only free games (0ad anyone?) and keep all paid media of all types off my systems, I'm still happy to see Steam port their stuff to Linux. Valve's owners, even though they sell DRM'ed games, rightly fear that Windows 9 or some other version might do to them what they do now to buyers of used games: lock them out of their walled garden. If Vlave can kill Windows by redirecting those who do play DRM'ed games out of Windows, that helps build a more important freedom. Games are entertainment in the end, but DRM'ed, walled garden OS's can be used to support things like document revocation after Wikileaks-type incidents, and to censor news. Example: Crapple rejected an iOS app that reported all US drone strikes in realtime.

Comment

Working...
              X