Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

Phoronix: New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

NVIDIA released today the 319.23 Linux graphics driver, which supports the just-released GeForce GTX 780 graphics card. There's also a couple of other changes to this certified Linux driver update, including 4K HDMI support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

vdpau (only 10% load):

vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:

xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
    Last edited by fritsch; 23 May 2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post

vdpau (only 10% load):

vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:

Umm what, even 3840?2160 is one 4k resolution, but you obviously know that. Nice cpu load you have there, with vdpau.

I think that they fixed this bug(or tried to fix it):
      Works in windows doesn’t in linux. Windows screenshot: External Media Linux always said 165 Mhz limit but even forcing it with: Option “ConnectedMonitor” “HDMI-0” Option “UseEDID” “False” Option “ExactModeTimingsDVI” “True” Option “NoBandWidthTest” “true” Option “ModeValidation” “AllowNon60hzmodesDFPModes, NoEDIDDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoMaxSizeCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEDIDModes” This modeline works: Modeline “3840x2160” 1...

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        Umm what, even 3840?2160 is one 4k resolution, but you obviously know that. Nice cpu load you have there, with vdpau.

I think that they fixed this bug(or tried to fix it):
        https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...5-mhz-broken-/
        Yeah - not talking about the 4K resolution, but the 4K surface size, when using vdpau decoder.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post

vdpau (only 10% load):

Here is vaapi without anything running in the background (cause I got mails about the high cpu load, some people cannot read): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot4kvaapi2.png

Comment

Nvidia GPU X Linux

Guys, I'm buying a new laptop and I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970 crossfire and would like to hear from you how's the nvidia driver nowadays. I know we had some acid news sometime ago with Linus criticizing nvidia support but don't know how's the things now and searching on Google didn't helped either.

Checking benchmarks on notebook check ler me believe the nvidia is better but we'll, it's also expensive and I'm not exactly a gamer. What do you think.

Comment

Originally posted by joelteixeira View Post
              Guys, I'm buying a new laptop and I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970 crossfire and would like to hear from you how's the nvidia driver nowadays. I know we had some acid news sometime ago with Linus criticizing nvidia support but don't know how's the things now and searching on Google didn't helped either.

Checking benchmarks on notebook check ler me believe the nvidia is better but we'll, it's also expensive and I'm not exactly a gamer. What do you think.
              If youre not a gamer stick with intel get yourself HD 4600 or HD4000
              You will avoid:
              - Heat issues due to poor cooling and physical constraints
              - Loudness
              - Size
              - Weight
              - Stupid NVIDIA and AMD driver issues
              - Mobile graphics which are based on same name as their desktop parent are always less powerful which means 780 is faster than 780m

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                Originally posted by joelteixeira View Post
                ...I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970...
                If youre not a gamer...
                LOL10char limit

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  LOL10char limit
                  You have apparently never dealt with people who think that for BF3 they need SLI Titans

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    You have apparently never dealt with people who think that for BF3 they need SLI Titans
                    Hey man, I got 3 SLI'd Titans and I play 2d pong at 1080p.

Comment

Working...
                    X