Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    If youre not a gamer stick with intel get yourself HD 4600 or HD4000
    You will avoid:
    - Heat issues due to poor cooling and physical constraints
    - Loudness
    - Size
    - Weight
    - Stupid NVIDIA and AMD driver issues
    - Mobile graphics which are based on same name as their desktop parent are always less powerful which means 780 is faster than 780m
    Thanks, I agreed with you but maybe I didn't explained right. I can't consider myself a gamer, but every now and then I enjoy spending some time gaming - that's why I want a good GPU.

My main concern is, Linus or anyone else still having reasons to raise the middle finger to NVIDIA or after that sad novel NVIDIA improved linux support?

EDIT: My actual laptop (XPS 1640 - ATI 4670) is four years old now and I'm outdated on this subject even more. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone with a NVIDIA card was able to follow the drivers update and improvements. And I trust phoronix community more than any other I know. It's my first time participating on the forums but I follow phoronix forums for a long time.
    Last edited by joelteixeira; 22 July 2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joelteixeira View Post
      Thanks, I agreed with you but maybe I didn't explained right. I can't consider myself a gamer, but every now and then I enjoy spending some time gaming - that's why I want a good GPU.

My main concern is, Linus or anyone else still having reasons to raise the middle finger to NVIDIA or after that sad novel NVIDIA improved linux support?

EDIT: My actual laptop (XPS 1640 - ATI 4670) is four years old now and I'm outdated on this subject even more. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone with a NVIDIA card was able to follow the drivers update and improvements. And I trust phoronix community more than any other I know. It's my first time participating on the forums but I follow phoronix forums for a long time.
      I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering

Notebooks with powerful GPUs usually have fucked up cooling which means they likely to be affected by throttling

Optimus support: nVIDIA is working on but according to their readme there are still some caveats
      AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly

Proprietary Catalyst or NVIDIA drivers still lack some features of its Windows counterparts

Comment

Notebooks with powerful GPUs usually have fucked up cooling which means they likely to be affected by throttling

Optimus support: nVIDIA is working on but according to their readme there are still some caveats
        AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly

Proprietary Catalyst or NVIDIA drivers still lack some features of its Windows counterparts
        Thanks a lot Ramirez, after reading this I think one single GPU is a better idea at this momment.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering
          There is problems with SLI and CF, but such problems unrealted to Optimus and PowerXpress at all.
          AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy
          That correct, but joelteixeira may buy laptop with VLIW-based GPU and use it with FOSS driver.
          and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly
          It doesn't need to be old GPU friendly because there is FOSS driver - that work out of the box with old GPU. What about bleeding edge Xorg/Kernel support? For example latest Catalyst Beta already support latest Fedora.

Comment

1. Yes, i never claimed otherwise
            2. GCN / or Nvidia 6xx/7xx are much more energy efficient and emanate less heat than previous generations which makes them a better choice for laptop
            3. Yes when 3.11 kernel will be in available it will be much better choice for NI and Evergreen however until SI reaches maturity he will be forced to use Catalyst just like in nVIDIAs case Sadly nouveau is not an option and i dont think it will ever be unlike radeon which advances rapidly

Sorry about that Catalyst /Kernel support
            Last edited by Ramiliez; 23 July 2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

2. GCN / or Nvidia 6xx/7xx are much more energy efficient and emanate less heat than previous generations which makes them a better choice for laptop
              Nobody playing on battery anyway. Energy efficient of GPU that disabled most of the time is one of that features that nice to have but it's not critical.

Comment

Working...
              X