Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HD 7850 Catalyst wine performance

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on boosting the performance of my card (HD 7850 1GB) when used with the Catalyst drivers. I find that this card works really well for native stuff from Steam and so on, but with wine it tends to struggle a bit - this is a problem as I really really want to play Skyrim :-D On Windows I can get full frame rate (60+ fps) with top settings at 1280x1024 (the highest my monitor supports), but the game just runs very laggy on wine, even with the lowest resolution and settings - not quite playable because of this.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work AMD and the community have done with regards to catalyst, r600g, radeonsi and so on, and understand that performance is bound to lag behind the Windows driver somewhat, especially with a translation layer like wine. That said, I was wondering if there was anything other people with similar hardware had tried with regards to tweaks, in order to eak more performance out of wine (and in particular Skyrim)?

A quick rundown of my system specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    M/B: Asus M4A78-LT-M LE
    Primary storage: 120GB Samsung SSD
    Graphics: ASUS Radeon HD 7850 1GB DirectCU
    Distro: Fedora 18 (64-bit)
    Graphics driver: AMD Catalyst 13.4 (64-bit)

I really appreciate anything people can suggest. Many thanks.

Regards,
    Phil Potter

TLS

May be worth mentioning - I just tried disabling TLS in xorg.conf and after restarting X, this seems to have caused a noticeable improvement - Skyrim is practically playable now. Still a bit jerky though - any other tips people have would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    Phil Potter

Comment

Try setting UseGLSL=disabled with winetricks or in HKCU -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3d using regedit. Works with the open source AMD drivers and the binary nvidia drivers but I don't know if it will work Catalyst. Should yield around 5-10% performance improvement. You could also try compiling the wined3d component with heavy CFLAGS and profile guided optimisation, but it's a bit of work to do that and will only yield about 3-5% additional performance. I'd suggest using the open source drivers now, but I'm not sure how radeonsi is getting on.

Wine's performance issues are mainly on the CPU side, so overclocking will likely help the most. But also Catalyst was terrible for me as far as Wine games go compared to the open source drivers, especially for the dedicated 7730 card, so it could well be a driver issue. I should note that I mean the git open source drivers + Vadim's shader optimiser so current distribution versions of the open source drivers won't yield that performance. And again, it might not help if radeonsi still isn't good enough, I don't know.

Comment

UseGLSL

Thanks for your reply

Tried this last night actually, with Catalyst it doesn't work at all, I just get a shader model 3 error. I will certainly give the radeonsi git branch a go, but I was under the impression the 3D performance was not great on it vs fglrx - worth a try I guess :-) As for rebuilding wine with optimisations, I'll give this a go as well - every little helps as they say!

Regards,
        Phil Potter

Comment

radeonsi

Hi All,

Just to say, I have built and tried radeonsi - sadly a bit lacking (for my purposes). I have created a companion thread in the open source AMD section so that I can remain on topic.

Regards,
          Phil Potter

Comment

Working...
          X