Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 27 Loads Web Pages Faster

Phoronix: Chrome 27 Loads Web Pages Faster

Google has announced the release of their Chrome 27 web-browser, which most notably provides faster load times of web-pages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 13.04 repo?

Is there an actively-maintained Ubuntu repository that includes this version of Chrome (or Chromium) for Ubuntu 13.04? It looks like ppa:a-v-shkop became suddenly abandoned, and doesn't have packages for 13.04.

Comment

There's a 300MB difference in RAM between the same windows opened in Firefox and the same windows open in Chrome (firefox is at 1400 and Chrome is at 1700). Chrome is "faster" but its too RAM hungry
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddenmaverick View Post
        Is there an actively-maintained Ubuntu repository that includes this version of Chrome (or Chromium) for Ubuntu 13.04? It looks like ppa:a-v-shkop became suddenly abandoned, and doesn't have packages for 13.04.
        Why don't you want to just use Google's own?

Comment

Far more interesting with WebKit now that Google is separate

https://www.webkit.org/blog/

Last week in WebKit: Millions of lines!
          Posted by Andreas Kling on Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Another week in WebKit land. Let?s make this quick, since I?m already late with the blog!

New behaviors:

Infrastructure changes:

Random cool stuff:

Honorable mention:

The WebKitten of the Week is Darin Adler, who?s continuing his awesome crusade to clean up the DOM Clipboard implementation. This sentence is pure filler so I get more words to link.

----------------

The actual code gut from WebKit is a welcome attrition. I already know performance increases are highly visible now that Blink is separate. Win/Win for Safari, GTK+, Qt and more.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Why don't you want to just use Google's own?
            I tried Google's Chrome repository about a week ago and got an error with a missing dependency that was no longer present in 13.04 (libudev0 I believe), but it looks like they fixed it. I ended up installing the google-chrome-stable package from here: http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/goo...me?dist=stable

As for Chromium, the ppa:chromium-daily/stable repository has not been updated in ages (thus the need for ppa:a-v-shkop/chromium). If there's a more official source for Chromium that I do not know about, I'd love to find out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              There's a 300MB difference in RAM between the same windows opened in Firefox and the same windows open in Chrome (firefox is at 1400 and Chrome is at 1700). Chrome is "faster" but its too RAM hungry
              Indeed.

If there is a configuration option or something to make Chrom(ium)e to be less hungry, I'll be all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddenmaverick View Post
                I tried Google's Chrome repository about a week ago and got an error with a missing dependency that was no longer present in 13.04 (libudev0 I believe), but it looks like they fixed it. I ended up installing the google-chrome-stable package from here: http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/goo...me?dist=stable

As for Chromium, the ppa:chromium-daily/stable repository has not been updated in ages (thus the need for ppa:a-v-shkop/chromium). If there's a more official source for Chromium that I do not know about, I'd love to find out more.

AM I NOT GENEROUS ??????????

Comment

Working...
                X