Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/Hurd 2013 Release Brings New Packages

Phoronix: Debian GNU/Hurd 2013 Release Brings New Packages

While it wasn't part of the Debian 7.0 Wheezy release earlier this month, the GNU non-Linux folks have now put out Debian GNU/Hurd 2013. This operating system pairs the Debian user-land with the GNU Hurd kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am looking forward

"Benchmarks of Debian GNU/Hurd against GNU/Linux and GNU/kFreeBSD are forthcoming on Phoronix."

Sweet!
    I am really looking forward to it!

Comment

"but still the project is working out to a surprising level"

It has only taken nearly a quarter of a century.

Comment

Shouldn't it just be Debian GNU? Seems redundant to call it gnu/hurd when hurd is the gnu kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Shouldn't it just be Debian GNU? Seems redundant to call it gnu/hurd when hurd is the gnu kernel.
          good point

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Hurd is turd! Repeat after me! Focus on linux!
            Sadly, "focus" and "linux" do not really rhyme.

Comment

Hurd is _not_ turd, you turd

I think you're the definition of why "Don't feed the trolls" is a valid statement.

Linux is a great Kernel, but Hurd has some very interesting and useful features (foremost the translators) which make handling things hard to do with Linux _very_ easy.
              It has taken so long to get a working system, because the Hurd-developers are focusing on constructing a well-designed system, and not focusing on rapid development. Even though the Linux kernel may work good, it is in many ways a fragmented system mainly due to the fact it has undergone heavy development in the last 20 years, which is not easy to keep together well.

Comment

Oh dear, has Shuttleworth written a blog post about Hurd now?

Comment

lol

Why don't you go use hurd instead of linux! This should be a new insult: Go use hurd!

wast of time using hurd, after 25 years... use the resources to focus in some who works and have future

Comment

lol

No but why? We have people like .dee who use it as their main OS I'm sure. It would be a tragedy!
                    lol the same guy who criticized the mir in all forums about linux in the world lol

hurd lost her chance 20 years ago to linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X