Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Intel X.Org Driver Supports All Of Haswell

Phoronix: New Intel X.Org Driver Supports All Of Haswell

With the public launch of Intel's beautiful Haswell CPU being imminent, Intel has released the xf86-video-intel 2.21.7 DDX driver that should support all of the Haswell PCI IDs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really dissappointed with Intel. It seems that their most powerful IGP won't be found in desktop processors.

Comment

I have no criticism about the graphics hardware. I understand that Intel is not thinking about the extreme gamer market.
      But I have criticisms about features that exist for Windows and do not exist for GNU/Linux, like Quick Sync and an acceptable OpenCL implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
        I have no criticism about the graphics hardware. I understand that Intel is not thinking about the extreme gamer market.
        But I have criticisms about features that exist for Windows and do not exist for GNU/Linux, like Quick Sync and an acceptable OpenCL implementation.
        You fail to realize just how inferior the entire graphics stack is on Linux compared to Windows.. The Intel driver JUST got the ability to be used without a screen attached to it, which is basically the point of OpenCL. QuickSync... probably VAAPI work has to be done
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          You fail to realize just how inferior the entire graphics stack is on Linux compared to Windows.. The Intel driver JUST got the ability to be used without a screen attached to it, which is basically the point of OpenCL. QuickSync... probably VAAPI work has to be done
          You fail to realize just how bad the whole linux is, plus adding terrible performance intel drivers, cannot be worse. On linux with first gen hd intel graphics i cant even play such games as bit trip runner, super meat boy only runs because its a shitty port, it only has ultra low graphics, not to mention how laags other games, whereas on windows i completed without lags such games as cod : modern warfare 1/2/3, and it wasnt lowest graphics, it was 1366x768 + high textures.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            I'm really dissappointed with Intel. It seems that their most powerful IGP won't be found in desktop processors.
            It will, but in the BGA form only: CPU soldered on motherboard.

Not to mention it'll be insanely expensive and not really available.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Originally posted by startzz View Post
              You fail to realize just how bad the whole linux is, plus adding terrible performance intel drivers, cannot be worse. On linux with first gen hd intel graphics i cant even play such games as bit trip runner, super meat boy only runs because its a shitty port, it only has ultra low graphics, not to mention how laags other games, whereas on windows i completed without lags such games as cod : modern warfare 1/2/3, and it wasnt lowest graphics, it was 1366x768 + high textures.
              Does this mean that Linux is the culprit? It's not an excuse. Nvidia can implement CUDA on Linux and it is working on Optimus.

Comment

Does this mean that Linux is the culprit? It's not an excuse. Nvidia can implement CUDA on Linux and it is working on Optimus.
                They didn't really implement it "on Linux", they rewrote half of the operating system and put it in a sealed box.

Intel and AMD are working on a native solution, within the Linux kernel, using open protocols, and open GL and CL implementations. And this takes time, because no such thing was available for Linux until very recently.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  They didn't really implement it "on Linux", they rewrote half of the operating system and put it in a sealed box.

Intel and AMD are working on a native solution, within the Linux kernel, using open protocols, and open GL and CL implementations. And this takes time, because no such thing was available for Linux until very recently.
                  I do not mind at all that this is a "sealed box" while it works. The user purchases hardware and want it to work on Linux, whether open or closed solution.
                  The solution chosen by Intel for OpenCL is not closed, but it is an individual project anyway.

So it is good that Intel is working on it anyway.

Comment

Not only Linux, also Windows 7. Only Windows 8 support dedicated card +OpenCL/Quicksync over Ivy Bridge iGPU or later. This is a Windows 7 limitation and not a driver limitation.

Comment

Working...
                    X