Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running World of Warcraft on Linux

Hi All,

I'm currently haft way through cutting over my windows system to Linux, right now testing Fedora 8. One of the reasons I haven't fully cut over yet is gaming. I play WoW on my windows system.

I was wondering what peoples experiences have been with running WoW on Linux?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by boymunga View Post
    Hi All,

I'm currently haft way through cutting over my windows system to Linux, right now testing Fedora 8. One of the reasons I haven't fully cut over yet is gaming. I play WoW on my windows system.

I was wondering what peoples experiences have been with running WoW on Linux?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    World of Warcraft on Linux works a treat. Don't use Cedega - waste of money. Use the latest version of WINE and set WoW to use the OpenGL renderer, it's much smoother and has less graphical corruption.

Comment

Everytime I see WoW on Linux threads, I am reminded of how Linux was listed on the pull down menu back when WoW was in development and later just disappeared. *sigh*

Blizzard... you fool.

I don't play WoW but this link might help.

Last edited by niniendowarrior; 12 March 2008, 03:54 AM.

Comment

I run WoW in Ubuntu 7.10 using Wine 0.9.57 and an ATI card with driver 8.3 without any problems. Like the above poster said, don't waste money on Cedega, just run WoW in opengl. To do this, you can either edit the Config.WTF file and add SET gxAPI "opengl" or you can run it from a terminal using the -opengl switch. Everything from installation to in-game voice chat and UI modifications work flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarpenter85 View Post
          I run WoW in Ubuntu 7.10 using Wine 0.9.57 and an ATI card with driver 8.3 without any problems.
          What ATI-Card are you using? I tried running WoW in Ubuntu 7.10 using Wine 0.9.57 and cat8-3 on my FireGL V5250 and was experiencing lockups as soon as I moved my character.

I went back to 8-2 and it's running fine again, but I'd prefer running 8-3 since Xv is much prettier with 8-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander He? View Post
            What ATI-Card are you using? I tried running WoW in Ubuntu 7.10 using Wine 0.9.57 and cat8-3 on my FireGL V5250 and was experiencing lockups as soon as I moved my character.

I went back to 8-2 and it's running fine again, but I'd prefer running 8-3 since Xv is much prettier with 8-3.
            I'm using an older 9800XT (R360).

Comment

Working...
            X