Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQLite Now Faster With Memory Mapped I/O

Phoronix: SQLite Now Faster With Memory Mapped I/O

SQLite 3.7.17 was released yesterday. What makes this new release of the popular lightweight SQL database software noteworthy is that it introduces support for memory-mapped I/O...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job

As someone who has this as my only option for an embedded system, I can say this library (though not perfect) does very well. My biggest complaint was performance during non-obvious queries, which is now better. Its ability to bring together many databases was very handy, though custom functions were painful if you had to multi-thread.

Comment

What about windows?

I wonder if the MMIO support is available on Windows. The paged linked in the article says:

3. The operating system must have a unified buffer cache in order for the memory-mapped I/O extension to work correctly, especially in situations where two processes are accessing the same database file and one process is using memory-mapped I/O while the other is not. Not all operating systems have a unified buffer cache. In some operating systems that claim to have a unified buffer cache, the implementation is buggy and can lead to corrupt databases.

But doesn't list the compatible OSes.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
        I wonder if the MMIO support is available on Windows. The paged linked in the article says:

3. The operating system must have a unified buffer cache in order for the memory-mapped I/O extension to work correctly, especially in situations where two processes are accessing the same database file and one process is using memory-mapped I/O while the other is not. Not all operating systems have a unified buffer cache. In some operating systems that claim to have a unified buffer cache, the implementation is buggy and can lead to corrupt databases.

But doesn't list the compatible OSes.
        Windows XP to 7 should have usable MMIO support

Comment

Y'all can thank me later for kicking their butts into adding the MMIO code. Don't expect miracles, SQLite's read performance is dominated by its SQL parser, not by the actual I/O. This may noticeably improve write speed but not much impact on read speed.

I first raised the topic in September 2011

They started playing with it in November 2011

It's taken them quite some time to get something workable out of it.

(Sorry, their mailing list archives are only accessible to subscribers; you must be a subscriber to read the above links.)

Comment

Good news for Firefox?

Comment

Working...
            X